Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hundred Days: The End of the Great War Nick Lloyd

mmckay395

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0670920061/ref=s9_newr_gw_d59_g14_i6?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0RRZ89Q5RDJJJY43XEH2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=430257247&pf_rd_i=468294

T
his has just been published and has received a top recommendation in the one from Gary Sheffield.

Has anyone got / read this yet. I thought his book on Loos was brilliant but would be good to hear people'e thoughts first.

Also, its surprising there hasn't really been a work on the 100 days until now.

I'm sure it's excellent but there have been good books on the hundred days before ( e.g. Harris 'Amiens to the Armistice' ) and plenty on 1918 which cover it in a lot of detail.

There was a review by John Lewis-Stempel, author of 'Six Weeks', in the Express last week. He gave the book 3 out of 5, He was complimentary on the research and sourcing, but found the work 'unengaging'

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read either book so far, but Saul David's one isn't about the last 100 days. He has focused on 100 days throughout the entire war that he believes were steps on the road to final victory. A different approach.

As mentioned above the Saul David title is misleading: it isn't about the 'hundred days' per se. A quick flick through at my local Waterstone's gave me the impression that it was a bit of a potboiler, like some of the author's other works. I may be being unfair.

For those prepared to fork out fifty or sixty quid on something rather esoteric on this theme, let me suggest Dr Jonathan Boff's WINNING AND LOSING ON THE WESTERN FRONT.

Phil (PJA)

I have read sections of the book, which reads well, but really does not add to the scholarship of Barr and Harris. I expected more of an operational analysis which may have added to the learning curve, but it is more of a conventional narrative of the period. In that respect a tad disappointing but it is engaging despite the review above.

• Admin

As mentioned above the Saul David title is misleading: it isn't about the 'hundred days' per se. A quick flick through at my local Waterstone's gave me the impression that it was a bit of a potboiler, like some of the author's other works. I may be being unfair.

I must admit I did 'look inside' on Amazon and was a bit mystified as it started in 1914 and had virtually switched off by the time Roland Leighton and Rupert Brooke were mentioned.

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Based on an "exhaustive" (not really) reading of portions of this book in neighbourhood bookstores, I have thought fit to order it. The reasons: looks well written, well researched and seems to tell the story as much from the German side as from the allied side. Hope I am right because I am most interested in the German side. Perhaps more later when I have actually read it cover to cover.

Well, I have now read the book cover to cover and....I wish it were longer. I enjoyed it immensely. I had a few quibbles with it - there are only so many ways to say that the troops on both sides were exhausted and I didn't need to be reminded more than once that a lot of the German soldiers were so young that their helmets seemed too large for their heads!! Really? But it was a good read. Certainly no one could read this book and doubt that the German army was a soundly defeated force by the late Fall of 1918. And, the author did meet one of my requirements - to tell the story as much (almost as much?) from the German side as the Allied side. Also, the French and Americans are given their due. I thought this was a well balanced book, full of excellent anecdote. I would recommend it.