Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yorkshire Trench

johnreed

I am afraid that the Yorkshire Trench is showing signs of neglect. Come on IFF get it sorted out, if fact it requires complete refurbishment.

John

post-1365-0-57465100-1384552919_thumb.jp

John,

I was in the team 10 years ago when we filled the bags with sand + cement. Soon it appeared that the quality of what had been delivered was very poor ...

I'm afraid that renovating here a bit and elsewhere a bit later will hardly help. And that in the end ... :-(

Aurel

Aurel

I know that you were part of Diggers and that you helped in the reconstruction of the trench, I also know that the City of Ieper bought the plot containing part of the Yorkshire Trench. What concerns me is that who is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance is it the City of Ieper or has this responsibility been handed over to In Flanders Fields Museum? I hope that this tourist attraction is not left to deteriorate even further as it is a very popular venue, I know that when in September 2009 when I was replacing the Trench Boards, 15 coaches turned up in one day to view the trench. I have Emailed In Flanders Fields Museum to ask what are their intentions regarding repairs to the Trench, I will post their reply.

John

Today I received an Email frrom Peter Slosse Diensthoofd toerisme Stad Ieper, I quote " We are aware of the situation at Yorkshire Trench. The technical department of the town of Ieper will take the lead in the reparation and - if possible - a rebuilding of the entire trench. These works will be planned early next year",

Good news.

John

Certainly good news. I have not visited Yorkshire trench (yet) and love to see it the way the Diggers left it behind.

Roel

The only real way to ensure it lasts is doing it the same as Vimy ridge with 100% concrete filled sandbags, Soil cement mixes tend to split and expand with frosts and seldom last. It should be a project for a Royal Engineer Unit but that would be wishful thinking!

I looked at the photograph of the Yorkshire Trench with a real sense of sadness, 100% cement is the only way, and this must be coupled with a maintenance plan, as the actual Sand Bags have a limited life, this work as always may also depend on the activity of volunteers. Let us hope that the repair work can be started soon before further damage occurs.

Bill Tomlinson

I have seen this trench on two occasions some 6 or so years apart. The second time the number of modern industrial buildings around the site seemed to have increased. I suppose that the area was rural in 1914. As the reconstructed trench is overhauled I find I am reminded of the tale of the carpenter who said I have used this hammer for 4o years it has had three heads and five hafts.

Old Tom

Another option would to produce shuttering that looks like sandbags which could then have reinforcing steel and done in a pour. Rather than individually laid concrete filled bags.