Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Question on form B. 178

BPJermyn

Looked for my answer but have not found it so I thought I would ask here.

The form I have for this man - B. 178 – there is a line at the top of the forum that reads “to be used for Special reserve recruits and Special Reservists enlisting into the Regular Army”. The man in question here is Frederick Roberts, #68775, he’s 34 at the time of enlistment and while he ships to England in February 1915 he does not enter the theater of war until January 1917.

So am I reading the intent or purpose of this form as he is in the military but due to his age (?) is not sent to the front until or if needed?

Any thoughts on this and this forums purpose.

Many thanks,

BPJ

post-73698-0-75193000-1384549230_thumb.j

Hi there,

Just a small point of clarification. The form above is B 178 which was a medical form for recruits enlisting direct into the regular army only (like your man), whereas the line about special reservists you quote above is just explaining that a different version B 178A (see the tiny A?), would be used if the recruit was a special reservist.

This is a standard medical form for recruits, and any question of dates of entry is a separate issue.

Hi there,

Just a small point of clarification. The form above is B 178 which was a medical form for recruits enlisting direct into the regular army only (like your man), whereas the line about special reservists you quote above is just explaining that a different version B 178A (see the tiny A?), would be used if the recruit was a special reservist.

This is a standard medical form for recruits, and any question of dates of entry is a separate issue.

Understood and thanks for pointing out the A.

What, if any difference, if the difference between B178 and B178a