Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte E Price 1st Mon at Hill 60

Dannemois

Private E Price of 22, Victoria Street, Pontlottyn of the 1st Monmouthshire Regiment, was killed in action at Hill 60. Source: South Wales Echo 14 May 1915.

Can someone please help add to this soldier’s story; I am part of a small group researching the war memorials in the old parish of Gelligaer in preparation for the Centenary 2014. Our aim is to write a short story on each casualty. Any details on the MIC, SDGW etc would be very much appreciated.

Roy

E. Price 1826

is listed on Ypres [Menin Gate] Memorial. It would seem that he had no known grave.

hi Rjaydee

The date of the paper article is the date reported and not the date of death. You say he was killed 24 April 1915, the paper reported his death on 14 May 1915.

Thanks for the details

Roy

Hi little boy and johnboy; appreciate the details.

I'm grateful for the details; unfortunately I am not able to use Ancestry or FMY until the new year so my sincere thanks.

Regards, Roy

If you go to Long Long Trail top left of page, you should be able to find 1 Mons and which div and brigade they were in and also battles they were involved in.

You might consider trying to find a copy of Les Hughes & John Dixon's book Surrender Be Damned: History of the 1/1st Monmouthshire Regiment 1914-18 (Cwm Press, 1995).

Clive

PRICE, EVAN

- Rifleman 1826 - 1st Battalion Monmouthshire Regiment - died 24th April 1915 - born in Bedwellty; enlisted at Rhymney; resident of Pontlottyn, Glamorganshire - commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium - memorial reference:- Panel 50 also commemorated on the St. Woolos Cathedral Memorial, Stow Hill, Newport

I have a copy of the Monmouthshire Free Press which shows him listed as a casualty I will copy this and PM it to you if you would like a copy of it.

He was killed during the battle of St Julien I will copy the relevent pages for you from the book Surrender be Damned to help you get a picture of what was happening at the time of his death.

Kind regards

Martyn

Hi Martyn

Yes please; I would appreciate a copy of the Monmouthshire Free Press casualty list and relevant details from "Surrender be Damned"

Regards, Roy