Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified name on war memorial. Gloucestershire. Bishop

RR1914

Hello

I wonder if anyone can help. We are a local history group researching our WW1 war memorial in Rodborough, Stroud, Glos.

We have just surnames and initials and we are unable to identify W J Bishop. We have no other information. Could anyone offer any help?

Thanks

You haven't said what you have already looked in so far.

Anything in your local newspaper archives?

Or have you tried searching in your local archives for the minutes of your war memorial committee? Maybe they're with council minute books. Poor Rate books, Burgess rolls, all spring to mind if you have drawn a blank so far.

Not sure how close Rodborough is to Stroud, but this came up in a search:

Name: William J Bishop
Spouse Surname: Florence E. Simmonds
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1912
Registration District: Stroud
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume Number: 6a
Page Number: 435

For your Walter Beard (post #2) you could have Walter William Beard, son of Walter and Ellen Maria Beard of The Cross, Woodchester.

Corporal, Royal Engineers (No. 42305) - dod 15/10/1915

Andy.

Thank you for all the helpful replies.

Firstly apologies. I have transposed 2 unidentified individuals.

W Beard we know from " Stroud and The Great War" is Walter of 13th Glos Regt. I'm not sure if he is Walter William of Woodchester, who was Royal Engineers, but with a DOD, I can look in the local papers for more info.

Likewise James Bishop.

I am slowly trawling through local papers and I thought that I couldn't find PC minutes, however another look at the Archives catalogue suggests they are there, so many thanks for the pointers

Julie

• 4 years later...

Whilst researching my great grandmother (Eliza Ellen Beard), I found that Walter William Beard(Jnr)  was her brother.  He was killed in action in October 1915 the age of 30 whilst serving in the Royal Engineers.  He was the son of Walter William (snr)and Ellen Maria Beard who lived at Woodchester but had previously lived in Rodborough (indeed it appears that the children were all baptised at  Rodborough). He was married to a Flossie Eleanor Priscilla Beard and had 3 children.  Is there any chance that the W Beard on the memorial in Rodborough is him? If not, I sadly cannot find a memorial to his death in the war.  Any help gratefully received. 

Edited by Guest
Names incorrect