Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt Pope-Gloucester Regiment

Dannemois

I'm off line regarding Ancestry and FMP until the new year. Can someone please locate the MIC for Sgt John POPE, 18097, Gloucestershire Regiment, 13th Battalion died 25/03/1918. Commemorated on Panel 40 and 41, Memorial POZIERES MEMORIAL. (CWGC). I'm looking for any information that will help me add to the details on CWGC. He was a police constable in the Rhymney Valley, Glamorgan prior to the war and his name remembered on the Pontlottyn War Memorial. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Roy

Hi

he appears to be the son of John and Mary Pope, his father being a farmer who predeceased him in 1899.

In 1901, at age 12, he too was a farmer, his mother, a washerwoman, residing in New Street, Long Sutton.

In 1911he is a serving Police Officer at Police Office Barry Dock, then aged 22 years and single.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme

Many thanks for the details; the info I posted was transcribed from a newspaper article, I usually use my local library for research on Ancestry and FMP for service records, MIC and SDGW etc but the library is closed until the new year due to moving to a new building, so very grateful for your details.

Kind regards, Roy