Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battn., Royal Scots

Beselare

The diary for the 2nd Royal Scots is not available online from Kew. I know that they were relieved by the 12th West Yorks on 13.11.16 during the attack on Serre and I obtained the 12th's diary. All that is mentioned for 13 November is that they were in trenches at Serre! I am now at a loss. Has anyone ever researched where the 2nd Royal Scots were (trench names/co-ordinates) on 13th November?

Many thanks

Bob

no.

They were involved in the attack but came up against uncut wire and went to ground 50 yards from the German front line. The RS History says they were at Serre till 9th January1917.

Aye

Malcolm

Bob

The war diary goes into the attack they made; from a quick scan the only mention of trenches I can see are mentioning Flag and Bleneau Trenches - two communication trenches which I presume were the left and right of the front line from which they attacked. I'd suggest that the brigade war diaries may provide further information.

Kind regards

Colin

To Colin and Martin

Thank you very much for your help. I have located Bleneau Trench and Flag Avenue and the front line position for 13.11.16. Using LInesman, I have been able to identify the position where the soldier I am researching, Sgt. Patrick Slavin (played for Celtic in 1897), would have been killed. It is somewhere at the far end of Serre Road Cemetery No.1 or just to the east of that cemetery wall. Sgt. Slavin is buried in Serre Road Cemetery No.2.

Bob