Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Was Ireland to become part of Austro-Hungarian Empire if we lost the w

Let Erin Remember

I was told that there are documents in the IWM of the North, which show that if the central Powers had won the war, that Ireland was to become part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

I was wondering if there is any substance to that claim. It seems quite improbable.

Séamus

Very improbable I would say - given the difficulties the UK government had in governing Ireland who would want the grief? The KuK did have ambitions in Africa (Libya and other Italian colonies for example) and the East.

It is possible this may be a reference to Arthur Griffith’s paper called the Resurrection of Hungry published in 1904, noting how in 1867 Hungary went from being part of the Austrian Empire to a separate co-equal kingdom in Austria-Hungary. It was an interesting proposal suggesting that Ireland and Britain had the same monarch but separate governments. It had been suggested before by Grattan and Kevin O’Higgins also considered it a possibility for ending partition.

I was told that there are documents in the IWM of the North, which show that if the central Powers had won the war, that Ireland was to become part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

I was wondering if there is any substance to that claim. It seems quite improbable.

Séamus

It is possible this may be a reference to Arthur Griffith’s paper called the Resurrection of Hungry published in 1904, noting how in 1867 Hungary went from being part of the Austrian Empire to a separate co-equal kingdom in Austria-Hungary. It was an interesting proposal suggesting that Ireland and Britain had the same monarch but separate governments. It had been suggested before by Grattan and Kevin O’Higgins also considered it a possibility for ending partition.

Hadn't worked with Scotland pre 1707! - and technically was the situation with Ireland before 1800

The solution had been mooted before - it was called Home Rule!