Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two cap badges - continued

DCLI

I posted a topic about a couple of cap badges I recently bought - one of which is very iffy, the other, may be iffy.

Anyway, I don't collect badges per se. I collect medals.

I recently bought a pair for a KIA, from the 11th Bn, Hampshire Regiment, a Pte Charles Longland - remembered on the Thiepval Memorial.

I like the idea of a cap badge to go with medals. So a genuine one would have been nice - but is not essential.

This was supplied by the seller, along with copies of the war diary.

The Btn provided two companies , A and B and two sections of Lewis Guns to supplement the attack of the 47th Inf Bde at Ginchy on 9/9/1916. The war diary states that " At 4.50pm the first line of 11th Hants under Capt Bland went over but could make no headway . They were met on leaving the trench by devastating machine gun fire and Capt Bland, Lt Jeffries , Lt Gammon and Lt Chubb were immediately hit.

The remnants took what cover they could in shell holes ". It later states that, " The reason for want of success in this operation was that the Artilllery bombardment had entirely neglected the front line trench opposite this sector.

Consequently the wire was uncut the assaulting parties were met by concentrated machine gun fire".

Thanks and regards

Anthony