Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Surrey Regiment

Corporal Chris

After a year out I am back in action. Are there any East Surrey experts that can help me? I am researching a Somerset Light Infantry casualty who formerly served as C/23178 in the East Surreys. Soldier's records and Surrey History Centre cannot help but can anyone advise me as to when he might have joined the East Surreys? Would it be correct to assume that the 'C' prefix was for conscript?

Regards,

Chris

Could it be a 'G' prefix? Haven't come across any East Surreys with a 'C' prefix before

I am researching a Somerset Light Infantry casualty who formerly served as C/23178 in the East Surreys. <snip> can anyone advise me as to when he might have joined the East Surreys? Would it be correct to assume that the 'C' prefix was for conscript?

Chris

I agree with the earlier poster that the C/ prefix should be a G/ prefix, for General Service.

Looking at a few records that survive for men with similar East Surrey Regt. numbers* it isn't safe to assume he was a conscript as most of those I looked at were Derby Scheme men who were mobilized and posted to the East Surrey Regt. from Army Reserve at the end of May/beginning of June 1916.

Regards

Steve

* the similar numbers checked were 23105, 23135, 23140, 23158, 23195 & 23205