Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Oakey of Cleeve Prior

Sean Thornton

George (B; c1890) appears on our village hall memorial plaque as a fallen in WW1.

He was a private in the Worcestershire Regiment (no. 3298) and then a lance corporal in Army Supply Corps.

But I cannot find a death record for him and nor can I find him on CWGC site.

Can I have some advice please as to where to look next.

Thanks

Medal card indicates he was demobilised on 10th June 1919 so he must have died after that.

Probably after the end of 1921, the CWGC cut off date.

BillyH.

A George Oakey death registered in Evesham Worcs in 1974 born 1893 in Sutton Coldfield. Several public members on Ancestry have him on their trees.

Sean,

Is he actually listed as George on the memorial, or have you searched some army records and believe the Worcester/RASC man in your request is him? Where did his numbers come from?

BillyH.

Hi (again)

Looking at this site

http://www.rememberthefallen.co.uk/Casualties/ListByMemorial/Cleeve%20Prior%20War%20Memorial%20Hall%20WW1

the picture is very small but doesn't it say

"Men of Cleve Prior who SERVED in the Great War"

Does that indicate the memorial records all from the village, deceased or otherwise.

This would fit in with the death in 1974 above. I found that BUT discounted it as the memorial must SURELY have been made BEFORE 1974.

Regards,

Graeme

Agreed Graeme, but against several of the names one can just see "killed in action" or "died of wounds" and George Oakey is one of those. Don't think the one I posted as dying in 1974 is him now. :( Ralph.

Good spot Graham!

If you copy the image though, and magnify it, it has "killed in action" next to it.

Looks like he is "George" anyway?

The reason I asked earlier though is that a Gerald Arthur Vane OAKEY was killed 29.7.1916 with the 28th Bn. Australian Infantry and his parents were from Worcester. His attestation paper is on Australian NA :

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp?B=8003136

Hope the link works, the note at bottom RH corner is unusual to say the least!

BillyH.

I think I have found him.

SDGW gives George James Oakey : 3rd Grenadier Guards : kia 25.9.1918 : born Crowle, Worcs.

George Oakey is on the 1911 census aged 21 with parents Charles + Mary living in Cleeve Prior.

On the 1891 census he is 1 year old with parents Charles + Mary (correct ages too) living in Crowle.(as SDGW)

BillyH.

BillyH. Just beaten me to it = George James Oakey GG just spotted the Crowle birthplace on SDGW. Another result I think for the GWF. Sean has thrown us all out quoting the numbers he did 3298 etc :w00t: Ralph.

One of the other names on the board Raymond W Stanley Air mechanic is buried in St Andrews Churchyard Cleeve Prior just as a matter of interest.

Seconded, definitely Grenadier Guards.

His medal card also indicates that he went over to France 12.8.1915 with the 2nd Life Guards first.

There don't seem to be any service papers for George - but I have been known to miss them!

BillyH.

I am led to believe that all guards service records are still in existence held by the respective regiments, the records were not held in the depository "blitzed" in WW 2. Ralph.