Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arras

I will be in the Nord-Pas de Calais region for a few days next week and may be spending a day in Arras.

I have guidebooks, but is there anything in Arras which anyone can personally recommend?

I have not seen them but the caves/catacombs are well worth visiting according to my friend. I know that the Canadian Memorial is controversial but the view from the plains to the east of the Memorial back towards Vimy Ridge was really impressive.

Enjoy the trip.

Robert

Catacombs are interesting and the Arras battlefields are oft neglected but really interesting area ( some of it has been built over now).

Other things- on the corner connecting the two squares is an excellent cheese shop and across from it another shop with a fantastic shop selling all sorts of beer. Throw in a quality bakery on the big square as well and you've got foodie heaven!

M

Angie999

The catacombs are good, as catacombs. But don't expect too much WW1 reference.

There is no admission to the tunnels that went to the front line.

On Vimy, the memorial is supposed to be clothed in scaffolding but this work had not been started as at 12 September.

Views are spectacular.

Have a good trip

Don't forget Faubourg d'Amiens Cemetery, the Arras Memorial and the Arras Flying Services Memorial - all by the Citadel with its WW2 partisan execution memorials.

The tunnels/catacombs are well worth a look. Guided tours only - about 50 minutes/1 hour. WW1 displays en route.

Excellent restaurants!

Guest Simon Bull

It is a sinister and distressing place, but paying one's respects at the Mur des Fusileees (where French Resistance workers were shot by the Nazis) close to Faubourg d'Amiens is not to be missed.

Simon Bull

I was last Sunday in Arras with a friend of mine. A disaster, we couldn't find the memorials and cemeterys we wanted to visit, so we went back to Ypres and stayed there untill the 'Last Post' at 20.00 hours.

Angie,

The two squares near the Beffroi are wonderful. Remember to pronounce one, the Place des Heros, as Place 'day ero'. Ifd you preonounce the 'linking 's' in 'des', you get the 'Place des Zeros'.

I would second Simon's mention of the 'Mur des Fusilés'.It will send shivers down your spine.

Regards,

Fred

I would second Simon's mention of the 'Mur des Fusilés'.It will send shivers down your spine.

I agree about le Mur des Fusillés. However, I didn't find it easily, on foot, starting from les Places, so perhaps consult a clear map first!

If you're in that area of Arras, and close to the cemetery and Memorial (by Lutyens - just under 40000 names), there are the Vauban barracks, which some people find interesting. It's the usual recognisable Vauban architecture.

Should you wish to go underground, the phrase to look for is les souterrains (or les boves). I've never been, as I detest confined spaces. Nor have I been up the belfry, but partner's pics from up there are spectacular. (I look like an ant.)

The cheese shop Mark mentions, Leclercq, place des Héros, is good. They're so used to English visitors that if your French is less than confident, they can help you out.

Many of the cafés and restaurants insist on speaking English, even if your French is good. I find this intensely annoying. Grrr.

Gwyn

Angie,

If you go to Bapaume, take the N17 and stop at Sapignies, a very small village, about 3 miles before you reach Bapaume.

It has one of those quiet, almost forgotten but bery intimate German war cemeteries. Pay attention to the wrought iron gate. It has an inscription dating fromm1937(?) stating that it was a present from 'Alte Kammeraden'.

Regards

Many thanks for the info folks.

I don't think I will have time to get down to the Somme, so I will save Peronne and Bapaume for another day.

I have been on a fleeting visit to Arras before, but really only had time for a meal and not sightseeing. This time, I will probably have the rest of the day free once I have done what I am going there to do, which is to have lunch with a former colleague who lives there now (but has NO interest in WWI!).

If the weather is good, I will probably head for the Faubourg d'Amiens Cemetery and the surrounding sights mentioned