Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

.303 inch Cotton bandoleers

TonyE

Can anyone tell me when the humble cotton bandoleer to hold 50 rounds in chargers was introduced?

I cannot find it in Lists of Changes, and I don't know whether it was introduced soon after the advent of charger loading in 1902 or whether it was a wartime issue. I can find the LoCs for the webbing bandoleers but not the cotton.

The earliest example I have is dated 1916.

Thanks

TonyE

Hello Tony,

I have one dated 1915 and I have read references to them being issued in 1914 (Aisne), perhaps they are listed in LoC by another name other than bandolier.

khaki

Thanks Khaki.

I wonder if they came in with the 1914 equipment?

As a matter of interest, is your 1915 one ink stamped with the manufacturer and date of the ammo? Mine held 1916 Kings Norton made ammo and I will post a picture this evening.

Regards

Tonye

Hi Tony,

My cloth bandolier is Canadian and is ink stamped as such including the year date, all the ammunition within is also Canadian and all rounds are dated 1916.

khaki

Can anyone tell me when the humble cotton bandoleer to hold 50 rounds in chargers was introduced?

Finally found the Karkee Web section on them, somewhat hidden under the 1937 Pattern webbing! Simple answer is 1906:

http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/1937/1937_associated_equipment_slung.html#1915

As promised, here is a photograph of my bandoleer.

It was originally filled with Kings Norton made Mark VII in September 1916 and then reissued with Woolwich made ammo in 1926, so had been sat in stores for ten years!

Regards

TonyE

post-8515-0-44111400-1384427830_thumb.jp

Hello all.

Mine is dated 11/16 and has the copper wire hooks...... Well two out of five remain. No re issue marks. Hope this is of interest?

TT

Sorry forgot to add.....

There is no big red stamp but only a stamp on the edge. Faint black and G Davis 11 11 16

TT

I believe the red stamps to be refill dates, ie Tony's has been refilled twice. These bandoliers were made with buttons, hooks and press studs - there seems to have been no standardisation at any time.

One of my many interests on the cartridge collecting side has been to accumulate a list of 303 cotton bandoliers manufacturers with the hope of putting a name to the initials inked on the edge of the bandolier. So far very little on this but I have found over 80 different makers from WW1 to post WW2.

Looking at this list the earliest I have is S & N. 6/15 II with brass press studs with another W.S.T.& Co.Ltd 11 15 II with copper wire fasteners and GL DEC15: 1 with Black buttons closure - this I assume is a Mark I bandolier. Most of the remaining WW1 bandoliers I list are of 1918 manufacture and are Mark II which seems to have been made well into WW2. Mark III and Mark 3 bandoliers were from late WW2 until about 1950 and then onto Mark 3/1 which apart from late Australian which had brass press studs all had the copper wire closure. Raises the question when was the Mark 1 introduced and when did the Mark II supercede it?

Les

One of my many interests on the cartridge collecting side has been to accumulate a list of 303 cotton bandoliers manufacturers with the hope of putting a name to the initials inked on the edge of the bandolier. So far very little on this but I have found over 80 different makers from WW1 to post WW2.

Looking at this list the earliest I have is S & N. 6/15 II with brass press studs with another W.S.T.& Co.Ltd 11 15 II with copper wire fasteners and GL DEC15: 1 with Black buttons closure - this I assume is a Mark I bandolier. Most of the remaining WW1 bandoliers I list are of 1918 manufacture and are Mark II which seems to have been made well into WW2. Mark III and Mark 3 bandoliers were from late WW2 until about 1950 and then onto Mark 3/1 which apart from late Australian which had brass press studs all had the copper wire closure. Raises the question when was the Mark 1 introduced and when did the Mark II supercede it?

Les

All the information you could possibly want can be found in the link I posted back in post 5...

Hello Tony and Les,

In case it is of interest I attach a couple of photos of the example in my collection. The maker, stamped in black ink, is W & C Ld. and the date is 11.14. The refill date, in red ink, is 6 - 15.

Hope this is of interest.

Regards,

Michael H.

post-53132-0-09179200-1384802983_thumb.j

post-53132-0-94266100-1384802999_thumb.j

Thank you.

What is the maker's mongram in front of the date please? I can make out most of the stamp but not that part.

It is interesting that these early (1914/15) bandoleers are marked "ILS" for "Inspector, Land Service" whilst the slightly later ones are marked "ISAA" for "Inspector, Small Arms Ammunition" after the Inspection Department had been reorganised.

Regards

TonyE

Hi Tony,

I think the marking is W & G Ld. (probably not W & C Ld. as I wrote earlier) although the ink has faded and is now indistinct.

Regards,

Michael.