The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Merchant Ships Lost or Interned

chrisharley9

Does anyone know of a definitive list or website with regard to these losses

All The Best

Chris

Unaware of specific websites but Ill start you off with :

"Derflinger" impounded by the British and renamed the HMT Huntsgreen. Used as a troopship Egypt, South and East Africa .Sold back to original owners North German Lloyd in 1923. Scrapped 1933.

I have a list of prize trawlers if you are looking for specific info. Most captured ships were renamed and had the suffix SIN or SIT (before November 1915).

EG. CAMPSIN - built by Teclkenborg, ex-Adjudant, captured by AURORA September 1915,

Aye

Malcolm

Many thaks to you both for the very useful info

Malcolm - I was not after any specific vessel, just a general overview. I assume most of the captured trawlers were taken in 1914 as the blockade was set up.

All The Best

Chris

2 were detained at Aberdeen in August 1914, 10 captured on 30th September 1915, 15 on 7th October 1915 and about 7 others captured between June and September 1915 individually. The notes also say that a lot of captured Trawlers were sunk as they had insufficient coal to get to Grimsby or Hull.

Aye

Malcolm

10 captured on 30th September 1915, 15 on 7th October 1915

these must have been sizeable naval operations - any background on them please, Malcolm

All The Best

Chris

Unaware of specific websites but Ill start you off with :

"Derflinger" impounded by the British and renamed the HMT Huntsgreen. Used as a troopship  Egypt, South and East Africa .

Can recall a veteran spinning a yarn about being thrown into the water when the Southland was torpedoed, he was rescued by the Derflinger, but ended up back in the water. I forget the exact detail, maybe something happenned to the lifeboat, but he used the German not the British name, and that would have happenned in August 15.

Australia 'transported' significant numbers of the AIF to war compliments of former German owners. The most significant was HMAT Boorara, which as the Pflaz was taken after the 1st artillery shot of WW1 was fired across her bows in Pt Phillip Bay. Others were HMAT's Boonah [ex enemy Melbourne] Barambah [ex Hobart] Bakara [Constaff] Barurga [sumatra] and Bula [Hessen].

The German Administration's Yacht Komet was commissioned as HMAS Una. There were also several smaller units taken in the 1914 capture of German Pacific territories.

*for any interested Kiwis, there is a pic of a couple of your mob on the Una at awm

Malcolm

Many thanks - a fascinating subject

All The Best

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Rupert, Just happened upon your post..these sites are tremendous, thank you.

Robbie

No problem Robbie, I found them some years ago looking for the ship my grandfather went to East Africa on but then forgot about them until this post came up.