Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th April 1918 football at Molineux

Guest Lastephens

Guest Lastephens

My grandfather, pte Henry Dobson, 5th west yorks, played football on this date and I have a photo of the team (The West Riding TF (reserve) brigade v 5th (reserve) South Staffordshire regt. My grandfather was not a reserve. I would like to know why he would be playing football in Wolverhampton during WW1. Any ideas?

If the South Staffs were the Home team it would be entirely reasonable for them to use the Wolves stadium,some S Staffs units were based in Wolverhampton.

LAStephens

Presumably he was with 5th (Reserve) Battalion of the W Yorks Regt. This battalion was previously 3/5th W Yorks and served in the UK providing drafts for the 1/5th and 2/5th battalions that were fighting battalions. Presumably your man was engaging in sporting activities whilst awaiting being declared fit (having recovered from wounds/ailments) or fully trained (if recently joined) prior to being sent to France.

Kind regards

Colin

Where the 3/5th (5th Reserve Batt) West Yorks in training on Cannock Chase at the time, Wolverhampton is not far away

or

Could it just be that he couldn't resist playing at the home of football in the Midlands :whistle:

Dave