Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Munich Trench

Trebrys

A group of the 1st Battalion RWF was given the task of attacking the Munich Trench on 11 January 1917.

Would anyone know exactly where this was or if there is a map of it anywhere?

Many thanks for any information. I'm a little rusty and am not sure how to go about finding this information.

Trebrys.

It ran from the south west corner of Serre, across Redan Ridge down to the Beaumont Hamel to Beaucourt Road. It was know the Germans as the Zwischen Stellung and was the intermediate trench between the German 1st and 2nd Positions.

Thank you both for the wonderfuly detailed responses - I will report back to my colleague and give you the deserved credit!

Both the map and the written desciption are gratefully received.

Diolch yn fawr / Thank you very much!

Trebrys.

To go with the map posted by Jon above, the flags plot the route of Munich trench (Linesman digital mapping package)

regards

Tom

post-5284-0-02409300-1384437688_thumb.jp

the pictures below are of Munich Trench cemetery, which is built over the trench! as you can see it was very misty - but i think this added to the feeling i got from the visit to this cemetery

post-93679-0-40215500-1384456424_thumb.j

post-93679-0-69691700-1384456464_thumb.j

post-93679-0-09049900-1384456493_thumb.j

Edited by cullbaggie

The kindness of people on this Forum never ceases to amaze me!

I am very grateful to cullbaggie and towisuk for their kind input! Would either of you know where the Soden Redoubt would be here?

Feste Soden as the Germans knew it was SSW of Serre and Munich Trench ran through it. I believe there are images in Jack Sheldon's 'The Germans at Beaumont Hamel'

best I can offer below

post-15439-0-90849700-1384622010_thumb.j

Many many thanks, Jay dubaya.........you are VERY kind!!

Trebrys

Thanks folks for the photos and maps. This why I love the Forum. I recall a wet, cold, windy day tracing the Munich trench area in November five years back. My God, what a nasty place to die.

• 3 years later...

I wonder if somebody could help me. I understand from the Long, Long Trail website that Munich Trench was captured on 10th and 11th January by the 11th (Northern) Division and the 7th Division. The 11th Division was under the command of IV Corps which was part of the Fifth Army. The 7th Division was part of the XIII Corps which had been part of the Fourth Army during the Battle of the Somme. Was it still under the command of the Fourth Army in January, 1917?

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2013 at 20:01, Trebrys said:

A group of the 1st Battalion RWF was given the task of attacking the Munich Trench on 11 January 1917.

Would anyone know exactly where this was or if there is a map of it anywhere?

Many thanks for any information. I'm a little rusty and am not sure how to go about finding this information.

Trebrys.

Trebrys,

Where does it state that the 1st Battalion RWF was given the task of attacking Munich Trench on 11/1/17? I have found a report of the attack on Munich Trench in the war diaries of the 62nd Division  which states that it was the 21st and 22nd Battalions of the Manchester Regiment and the 1st Battalion of the S. Staffordshire Regiment that carried out the attack. The report does state that after the attack " Touch between 22nd Bn. Manchester Regt. and 1st Bn. R. Welsh  Fus. was not established until that night.". The 22nd Bn. Manchester Regiment was on the right of the attack.

• 1 month later...

Ah right! Thanks for that John England! I may have misread the piece from the official War Diary of the 1st RWF. I don't have it with me now but I'll get back to you when I have.

Thanks.

According to the 22nd Brigade's War Diary (WO 95/1661/2) the brigade, including 1 RWF, was at Betrancourt Apple Tree on 11 Jan 17, enduring bombardments and taking a few prisoners. Munich Trench was assaulted at 6.40 a.m. by the 91st Brigade (so Manchesters and South Staffordshires makes sense). The 22nd Brigade relieved them 'in Munich Trench etc.' on 12 Jan. They were relieved in turn by the 20th Brigade on 15 Jan.

Acknown