Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Laventie North German Cemetery

MAW

I am researching a British soldier who was killed in action in 1918 and buried by the Germans at Laventie North German Cemetery, but his grave was not found after the war and he is now commemorated by memorial stone at Pont-du-Hem Military Cemetery, La Gorgue.

Where was / is Laventie North German Cemetery? I cannot find any reference to it outside a mention on the CWGC database.

Mark

More info at the German Volksbund website (in German, I'm afraid).

Built by the Germans in april 1918 during the battle of Armentieres. Extended by the French after the war.

The cemetery has 1.978 graves, of which 17 are unidentified.

No mention of any British graves.

Roel

It's near Fromelles, a couple of kilometres ESE of Estaires. It has a huge Summer 1918 plot.

Here you go. It's in the Laventie-Neuve-Chapelle-Aubers triangle.

post-98-0-29190200-1384353389_thumb.jpg

We're talking about the same cemetery, Hedley.

I'm having trouble with the "Laventie North German cemetery" Mark (and CWGC) are talking about. The cemetery you and I have in mind certainly is not north of Laventie.

The Laventie North German Cemetery the CWGC writes about is (was) near "a railway station". I don't think there is a railway station near the present day cemetery...

Roel

In that case I don't have a clue.

But I am sure that the cemetery I have marked and that indicated on the Volksbund site are one and the same. The photos show some very distinctive trees which I well remember from my visit.

There is certainly no railway station in the vicinity. There a railway line to the north of Laventie, but there is no sign of any German cemetery near to it. Perhaps there was one and it was cleared into the cemetery marked on my Google Earth map

Mark,

You are probably going to need a German trench map to locate it. I've scoured the British one's I can find on line, but none have it marked, (Sheet 36 G34/M4).

Phil

The CWGC 'Cemetery Details' for Rue-du-Bois cemetery say that '... graves were brought in from the surrounding battlefields and from certain small cemeteries, including: Laventie German Cemetery, which was on the road going North from Laventie village. The graves of 19 soldiers from the United Kingdom were found in this cemetery. The German graves were moved to Sailly-sur-la-Lys German Cemetery.'

So that would appear to be the elusive 'Laventie North' German cemetery.

Mark,

The South cemetery was on the road out to La Flinque.

From Mick's directions, the nearest to a road bearing North out of Laventie, is Rue des Clinques. The communal cemetery is on this road, very close to the station, but I would have thought the descriptions would have been more specific if it was here. The alternative is the road to Nouveau Monde, where there were two hospitals. There were a number of German graves behind L'Hospice Toulouse, but I can't see where this building was located. Organised German cemeteries are usually quite east to spot on a decent map, even when they aren't labelled - it's trying to find one.

Phil

That's the one on the Rue Masselot, Frederik, and the plate on the wall beside the gate says simply "Deutscher Soldatenfriedhof 1914-1918, Laventie, Cimetière Militaire Allemande". I stand to be corrected, but I think that it is now the only German cemetery in existence that has 'Laventie' in its name .... and, as the crow flies, it's actually nearer to Fauquissart than it is to Laventie.

This is the one marked in post #5

Indeed it is, Hedley. Sorry, I should have acknowledged that and also said that it is likewise the cemetery that Roel's link to the VdK website in post #2 shows.

• 8 months later...

Mark,

With the CWGC records going online, did you manage to locate the North cemetery?

I spent ages trying to pin it down at the time and although I am pretty certain where the South cemetery was, couldn't get anywhere with the North one.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally located the North Cemetery from the CWGC Burial Returns.

Map reference 36.M.4.b.4.7.

It is on the opposite side of the Rue des Cinques to the communal cemetery on the patch of land adjacent (South side) to the Patronage du Sacre-Coeur.

Phil

No Mick,

I had just been going through the Burial Returns for Pont-du-Hem, before I posted.

post-20576-0-73169800-1406924582_thumb.j

Satellite view of square 36.M.4.b.4.7

post-20576-0-07496200-1406924738_thumb.j

Street view of the South elevation of the Patronage du Sacre-Coeur.

Phil