Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal ID

mads0204

Hi Maria,

Welcome to the Forum.

Although the medal has the ribbon of the Africa General Service Medal, I don't think that it is actualy a military medal as such or at least not a campaign medal. Does it have any inscription engraved on the reverse?

Robert

Masonic?

Justin H

Hi Robert,

No there isn't anything on the back (apart from sterling silver), my elderly friend said it came back with her Aunties husband after the Ypres War along with the little dagger you can see in the picture, I did say I didn't think it was a campaign medal as there were no service details on the back.

Maria

Medal006.jpg[/url]

Hi Maria,

Do you have any details of your friends relative, I assume that it is he in the photo? If you can provide any details such as his full name and regiment, if possible, then it may be possible to find some connection between him and the medal with the AGS medal ribbon.

Can you date the hallmark? or show a close up of it?

This may help a little--although I am not quite certain how!!?

Robert

1. What was the man's full name

2. Can you also clarify the name and address of the "Medallist" on the presentation box

3. Try Forum Member ForeignGong on the off-chance that it is a foreign award

Aren't the thin dark stripes on the Africa General Service Medal ribbon dark green rather than black?

Other medals on the net are listed from W Holmes Medallist 97 Cloudsley Rd Islington.

The one I found was for boxing, didn't look like the one above though!

Regards

Ian

Aren't the thin dark stripes on the Africa General Service Medal ribbon dark green rather than black?

Yes, you are quite correct. The ribbon shown can only be that of the East and West Africa medal--well spotted!!