Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help With Map Reference Please.

Gunner R.A.

I have a soldier who was serving with the 49th West Riding Division, the Y49 Medium Mortar Battery to be precise and was killed in action on the 17th of November 1916. He was originally buried at the following grid reference, unfortunately his grave did not survive and he is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial. Could anyone please give me a location for this reference of better still a copy of a map showing the location, if possible,

Q.5.a.2.5. Sheet 57d 3e

Hopefully the above will make sense,

Kind regards,

Pete.

Right on the trench line!

That was quick, cheers Ypres.

Can you put any kind of exact location to that area?

Also i'm no expert but would that be a likely place for a burial?

cheers,

Pete.

Pete

The burial spot is where the reg "flag" is, towards the top left of the map. Burials could be anywhere and then lost due to subsequent action

Roger

Cheers Roger, it's just that i was under the impression that graves would have been placed in a concentrated area away from a trench line, well you learn something new every day,

cheers,

Pete.

Pete,

Don't take the map reference too literally. It will give you an accuracy to within a square 50yds x 50 yards. I believe the convention is that the reference given will be the bottom left hand corner of that square.

Phil

Using Linesman again here's the burial spot overlaid on an aerial photograph .......

regards

Tom

post-5284-0-55466400-1384352898_thumb.jp

Pete,

Don't take the map reference too literally. It will give you an accuracy to within a square 50yds x 50 yards. I believe the convention is that the reference given will be the bottom left hand corner of that square.

Phil

Cheers Phil, i'll bare that in mind in the future,

Pete.

Using Linesman again here's the burial spot overlaid on an aerial photograph .......

regards

Tom

Thanks for that Tom, much appreciated