The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Locating fallen family

PhilipOsier

Hello GWF,

I am writing this in regards to obtaining any information, escpecially any military service records regarding some of my family members. The first being three of my great great uncles who faught and fell in France during worl war I. My family has some vague information reagarding them, some of which may not be correct, but I would like to request the expertice of possible GWF historians to furthur my search. They are as follows:

WWI

Daniel Sheridan: (possible info)

Born: Around 1888 in Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland.

Death: 24 Mar 1918 in Haplincourt, Pas De Calais, France

Military: 2nd Lietenant, 2nd Battalion Highland Light Infantry

Possible Burial Location: Faubourg D'Amiens Cemetery, Arras, France

Decorations: M C, D M C, Bronze Medal for Military Valour (Italy)

William Sheridan: (possible info)

Born: Around 1894 in Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland.

Death: 13 October 1915 in Loos, France

William Edward Lee

Born: Around 1895 in 26 Nov 1895 @ 8 Newman St, Battersea, London

Death: 13 October 1915, Loos, France

Military: Gloucestershire Regiment, 10th Battalion

Possible Burial: Dud Corner Cemetery, Loos-En-Gohelle, France

In addition, I am very proud to say my great grandfather Frank William Lee, served and servived in the Royal British Navy.

Frank William Lee:

Born:7 Jun 1893 in 57 Kamballa Rd, Battersea, London

Dealth: 6 Jul 1975 in Extendicare Nursing Home, Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Military: (1911-Royal Navy Sailor), (1918- Leading Seaman Royal Navy E-52 submarine), (1921- Petty Officer HMS Dolphin)

Residance: Marital Residence 1918 - 24 Falcon Grove, Battersea, London

Following the war 1921 - 76 Harold Rd, Southsea, Hampshire

Emigration: 13 July 1922 - Arrived in Canada destination 212 Campbell St, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

With all this said, any additonal or supplementary information reagrding any topic would be greatly appreciated. I am very proud of my family and am just trying to piece together their heroic stories.

Thank you,

Philip Sheridan Osier

Death Living

Edited by Keith Roberts
Off topic material removed

Hello

You wanted info on:-

Daniel Sheridan: (possible info)

Born: Around 1888 in Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland.

Death: 24 Mar 1918 in Haplincourt, Pas De Calais, France

Military: 2nd Lietenant, 2nd Battalion Highland Light Infantry

Possible Burial Location: Faubourg D'Amiens Cemetery, Arras, France

Decorations: M C, D M C, Bronze Medal for Military Valour (Italy)

So you could try the finding the War Diary of the 2nd Battalion Highland Light Infantry, Your relative was a 2nd Lietenant so he may possibly have been mentioned... (unlike most soldiers)

you can find war diaries online from the National Archives

cheers John Melling

Found this info

listed in the text of Telfer-Smollett's 2nd HLI in the Great War, The Offensive In Picardy, The Battle of Bapaume, pp.128-131

23rd March
Lieut. J.M. MITCHELL (Battalion Intelligence Officer) - killed by a sniper (although CWGC has it listed as the 22nd March)

24th March
Lieut. J.F. TOMLINSON - killed
2/Lieut. D.B. HOWELL - killed
Capt. G.C.D SPENCE - wounded
Capt. J.G.B. GRAHAM - wounded
Lieut. C.D. MITCHELL - wounded
Lieut. L.C. BEVIN - wounded
Capt. M.A. KINCAID SMITH M.C. - missing
Capt. W. NEILSON - missing
2/Lieut. W.J. DONNELLY - missing
2/Lieut. D. SHERIDAN M.C. D.C.M. - wounded and missing (CWGC entry confirms death)
Other ranks - 150 killed, wounded or missing.

Hope this is of use.

My simple sum

Soldier + Regiment + War Diary = Locations of Relation at leading up time of service (Death)

Philip

Picking up on the DCM against 2/Lt D Sheridan's name. It was a decoration for Other Ranks and I discover that he was a Company Sergeant Major in the HLI before he received his Commission.his service number was 10930. The citation is on Ancestry UK and it says:

"LG 14 November 1916. For conspicuous gallantry during operations. After his Battalion had reached it's final objective CSM Sheridan went out alone to reconnoitre the position. He entered a dugout and found an enemy and a machine gun. He seized the man and forced him to carry the machine gun back to our lines "

Confirmed from Medal Index Cards that this is one and the same soldier,it cross-refers to him getting a Commission with the same Regiment. He served 10 Battalion as a CSM,first landing in war in France on 12 May 1915. Served initially with 3 Battalion as a 2/Lt.

I am reading The War Diaries of 2ndHLI and sure enough D.Sheridan mentioned by nane:

"

WOUNDED & MISSING:

nd/Lt D. Sheridan DG

"

Lt D. Sheridan DCM

took out a platoon to minimise the danger of the gap on the left flank & gave invaluable assistance with covering fire, which allowed of a gap readjustment in the flank & brought to the 6th Brigade into more even line with the 5th Brigade.

Thank you, thank you, thank you John, cant tell you how excited I am right now.

Philip

I think your last will refer to his MC ( an Officer's decoration). There is probably a London Gazette entry for that.

• Admin

Philip, William Lee has no known grave, he is remembered on the Glosters panel at Dud Corner. The 10th were attacking Hulluch on that day.

Michelle

The only William Sheridan born Dumbarton (SDGW) served and died with the Royal Fusiliers 16th June 1917 commemorated Arras Memorial Bay 9. No soldier with this name died on the 13th October 1915. Ralph.

Thank you rjaydee for bringing that to my attention. I made a mistake when entering William Sheridan's Death. Our family has no records regarding his dealth. How would i find this information you have provided. It seems i connot find this info on the commonwealth war graves commision.

Enlisted Whitehall resided Battersea born Dumbarton information derived from the Soldiers Died Great War cd (info also available on Ancestry). The CWGC entry unfortunately does not have any family details. Ralph.

Could anyone help with finding possible military or service records??

William Edward Lee

born: 1895 in 8 newman st Battersea, London

death: 13 Oct 1915, Loos, France

Military: 10th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment (believed)

Possibly buried Dud Corner Cemetery

Parents: Walter Lee and Mary jane Taylor

You casn search for these on line using Ancestry. Free at local studies libraries. You just need to follow the advice in post 2. You can get a two week free trial of Ancestry, or subscribe. Searching at Kew is free, but can involve too much travel and expense, making the other options preferable for most.

Keith

• Admin

Philip,

As I explained earlier in post 12, William Edward Lee is commemorated on the Dud Corner Memorial, as his grave site was lost. Yes he may be buried in the cemetery there, but I doubt it. The 10th were attacking Hulluch which is some distance away. William was certainly in the 10th Glosters, he is named in the roll of honour in a book written about the battle of Loos and the 10th Glosters involvement. It may be that he was one of the men who missed the battle on the 25th owing to mumps,some men were held at Gosnay along with 2/Lt Carnegy but they were involved in the attack on the 13th October.

Equally, Daniel Sheridan has no known grave and is commemorated at the Arras memorial.

Michelle

2nd Lt D. Sheridan, D.C.M., is mentioned in the 2nd Bn Highland Light Infantry War Diary.

His name appears in the operations covering the period 24-25 March, 1918.

A 6-page Appendix in the Bn Diary describes the full operations of 20th-27th March, 1918, and he is again mentioned there.

I have transcribed the Diary and attached my transcription of the 3 pages covering 24th - 25th March 1918.

If you PM me with your email address, I can send a full copy of my transcription.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

post-87018-0-76908300-1384358707_thumb.j

post-87018-0-29217000-1384358804_thumb.j

post-87018-0-27585700-1384358841_thumb.j

Several Willliam Edward Lee service records available... but the first glance most likely one (from Battersea) is too old. Did wonder if it was his dad? But a William is not listed among the children shown on the form.

Lots of W E Lee's and other variations, but my quick look can't find him.

Regards

Ian

• Admin

Philip see my reply on your other thread

Michelle