Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oct 8/9/10 Somme visit

Terry Carter

Me and a few mates will be staying at Auchonvillers on the Friday and Saturday , 8th and 9th October and returning home on Sunday 10th.

Have not worked out a route for a good walk yet. We like to leave the car somewhere safe which will probably be the car park at Delville Wood visitors centre. However, Caterpillar Valley/Happy Valley/ Death Valley area is my favourite to walk around.

There is a piece in the book 'The History of the 1st Birmingham Battalion in the Great War' by J E B Fairclough. he mentions from the top of the reverse slope looking down into Caterpillar Vallay (as a rough guide I would say a position at the rear of Caterpillar Valley Cemetery looking down into the valley). From there, they were above a British fighter plane chasing a damaged German fighter plane. Which must have been about 18/19/20 July 1916 before they went into the line opposite Wood Lane near High Wood

;) Hi Terry

Hope you have a good time, i am over for the weekend Nov 5th taking over a mate for the first time, his relation was kia with the 11th bn in the night assault at Bazentin so a walk is planned around here. Also on the way down i am planning a walk just south of Laventie where R.V.Guest of the 2/8 bn was shot by a german sniper the area is of interest to me because my grandfather served with the same bn and he is mentioned in the war diary with some other guys on a raid which took place in August 1916, with the help of some computer software and trench maps i have now uploaded the data into my Gps and have now pin pointed the exact spot give or take a few yards? can wait to walk the same ground he did

all the best with you trip

Tony