Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

EDWIN COATES 6TH D.L.I.

stevej60

I know its a long shot due to the millions of men serving during the great war but would anyone with a knowledge of the Durhams have any information

they could offer.Edwin Coates is in my family tree being my gt grandfathers nephew,he was born in lincolnshire although his parents were from Durham,

by chance thanks to ancestry,s free record weekend there are a couple of pages of his records to View showing enlistment in the 2nd/6th Durhams,

although he has stated a preference for the Lincolnshire regiment,the other page has a record of him being promoted to corporal in 1916 still with the 6th

Durhams,he must have been an interesting character as his employment on joining is stated as "independent".In the 1911 cencus he is boarding in Bolton

where his occupation was actor appearing in "fall in rookies".any info would be appreciated.

I don't think I've got any information on him on my 6th DLI website but I'll take a look through my other records and see what I can come up with.

craig

The only MIC I can find for an Edwin Coates DLI shows he was numbered 251185 and transferred to the Labour Corps as 572390 and then to the Royal Fusiliers as GS/112083.

So you will need to look at the R Fusiliers Medal Rolls for Battalion info.

Hope this helps

regards

John

Hi,

The five pages of documents are for the same man, enlisted 10/7/16, LCPL 4/8/16 CPL 16/9/16.

Nothing on there about Labour Corps or R Fusiliers, There is a four figure number starting with a 5 crossed out and replaced by 251185, NOK details are for his wife.

regards

John

The only MIC I can find for an Edwin Coates DLI shows he was numbered 251185 and transferred to the Labour Corps as 572390 and then to the Royal Fusiliers as GS/112083.

So you will need to look at the R Fusiliers Medal Rolls for Battalion info.

Can't add anything for his DLI service but his Royal Fusiliers number would, I suggest, be for either 43rd or 44th (Garrison) Battalions (I favour the latter). These were formed, according to the LLT mothersite, "in France in May and September 1918 from Garrison Guard Companies, for duty at the five Army HQ's and manned by troops who had been rated as medically unfit for front line duty", hence the transfer from the Labour Corps.

Labour Corps units are difficult to tie down but based on other Royal Fusiliers Medal Rolls I've looked at it's quite possible that the Medal Roll to which the reference TP/104 B63 Page 7495 (NA ref: WO 329/786) relates may have the detail of which Labour Corps unit he transferred from.

Regards

Steve

Thanks John - I have a separate list of '6 digit' men so I'll see if there's anything extra I can add. If not it's one more man for my records.

Craig

There is a four figure number starting with a 5 crossed out and replaced by 251185

I think you'll find the four figure number is 5082.

Steve

Thanks for all the information guys,much appreciated.