Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

World War I Books written by journalists

Tuscania1918

I am looking for World War I books written by Journalists. I am also looking for rare books. I do not know enough about the subject matter as my interests lies in other areas, but would like to read what the journalists of the times wrote. Also, looking for published diaries written during the war too would be very, very appreciated.

Philip Gibbs was a journalist I think?

And Rudyard Kipling began as a journalist, though long before the War.

Not really my thing but one that springs to mind is ' With the British on the Somme' (1917) by William Beach Thomas of the Daily Mail and

as mentioned Philip Gibbs 'The Battle of the Somme' 'From Bapaume to Passchendaele' 'The Soul of War' all written during the war.

There are still copies of this one around on Abe Books:

post-70679-0-53537800-1384293617_thumb.j

I suppose John Buchan could be included as, although he wrote 'The 39 Steps' in 1914 and could therefore be more justly described as a novelist, he did revert to journalism during the war - going to the front at Loos in 1915 on behalf of The Times. However his writing in the war was unashamedly propaganda and I doubt would be of much interest other than as a curiosity.

He wrote one piece in which he wildly exaggerated the number of German casualties in the war, and I have always wondered if that was the inspiration for the Wipers Times skit on casualty reporting which concluded that there was only (I forget the exact number) something like 12 Germans left to fight.

David