Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boy Hero?

neverforget

Whilst out photographing gravestones yesterday, I came upon this unusual one, which had an inscription saying that this monument had been paid for by his "Comrades and Admirers."

I just wondered what could have led to such a tribute to the lad, and suspect that there may be an heroic tale attached that one of our pals could uncover for us all.

Anyone got any ideas? His service number is 159845.

post-95959-0-77328100-1384203707_thumb.j

SDGW says died at home, 2nd Reserve Battalion so looks like in training?

BillyH.

Thanks for your reply, and for looking on S.D.G.W.

He did die in England, as he is buried here. I always assumed that people who died at home would fall into the died of wounds category, but you may well be right. There would have been exceptions to the rule I`m sure. I`d just love to know what prompted such a tribute to one so young.

Louis Valentine Hood died as a result of a head injury that he sustained during a boxing match at The National Sporting Club, London.

The Times reported the trial for manslaughter listing the defendants as Charlie Hardcastle a miner from Barnsley, Louis's opponent; Arthur Frederick Bettinson, manager of the club; John Herbert Douglas, the referee; Eduardo Zarega, the timekeeper; John Goodwin, the second to Hardcastle; Jabez Hamilton White, the second to Hood.

Louis Hood was knocked out in the 14th round of the 15 round fight. The two men were 9 stone in weight and equally matched. The Times reported on 24th June 1916 that the men were cleared of manslaughter and that Louis Hood died from compression of the brain by blood ; death by misadventure. It was also declared that the contest was "proper, lawful and clean ". Louis Hood had been fighting for 3 years.

Wow! I wasn`t expecting that!

Just goes to show how unsafe it is to assume anything.

Thank you so much Myrtle for this wonderfully thorough and detailed account, and thank you to everyone else who posted.

Once again this fantastic forum turns up trumps.

Best regards to all.

Knockout !!

I think the Prince would have chosen to wear a different uniform altogether had it been the second world war. :whistle: If you get my drift. :devilgrin:

Indeed !! :w00t: