Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Moore Brabazon

Filthy Fifth

Can anyone tell me which squadron(s) this famous holder of the first UK pilot's licence and pioneer of aerial photography served in or commanded during WWI ? My father was a sergeant observer and aerial photographer (in RE8s heaven help him) and told me that Brabazon was his CO. Father died in 1971 and left a whole heap of photos of the trenches, Zeebrugge, portraits of individual pilots (most in their parent regimental uniform and doubtless the source of a bit of pocket money!), British airships in flight and crashes - some horrendous and others funny. I passed the bulk on permanent loan to the RAF museum at Cosford; apart from the personal ones and a couple of amusing and obviously non-fatal prangs (which I will get my IT advisor - aka daughter - to post for your amusement next time she's here). He joined the RFC in 1915 from the Royal Engineers and features on the first RAF nominal role in 1918.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You can download his AIR 76 file from here: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D8194592 which would tell you when / where he was. His officers army file is also available but not for download.

What was your fathers name / number?

Simon

Thanks for the lead Simon. I have downloaded the info from the National Archives, which is not very forthcoming about the exact units in which he served. Merely saying 'Air Ministry' - 'Room 465'. and then 'O.I.P to take over O photography'. No details about his service in France. I think I will have to get his biography out of the library. My father was 65222 James Wilfred Phillips, trade: photographer (Air Mech 1). latterly promoted to Sergeant. From what I can make out, he had another number in the RE before transferring to the RFC and seems to have been transferred back to the RE for demob at the end of the war. His younger brother Horace William Phillips 12636 also served in the RFC as a fitter/turner.

Did you know that James has a file at the PRO: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C11659112 as does Horace: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C13499209 Down side is that these cannot yet be downloaded so you would either need to go yourself or get someone to go for you (I know someone if your stuck)

Simon

Another helpful lead Simon, many thanks. One of my sons lives in London, so I might persuade him to go and ferret for me. Although I see you can pay to get them sent to you. The entry 'date 1918-1928' puzzles me though, as both my Father and Uncle left in 1918