Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Art

BPJermyn

Sorry for the double post - had trouble with the upload

Amazing piece of trench art I discovered when looking that the personal effects of a fallen Canadian - John Hilton Towsley.

It's a very small caliber bullet with a cross some how attached to the end of it.

Bit of irony there.

Thought I would share.

post-73698-0-51762500-1384108933_thumb.j

Bradley

How long is the bullet and cross? it looks tiny. Thanks for posting it.

Pete.

P.S. Would this be Sapper J H Towsley who is buried at Bodelwyddan in North Wales? I looked him up on the CWGC website expecting to find him around Courcelette, Vimy or Passchendaele only to see he is just across the bay from where I live.

Sorry for the double post - had trouble with the upload

Amazing piece of trench art I discovered when looking that the personal effects of a fallen Canadian - John Hilton Towsley.

It's a very small caliber bullet with a cross some how attached to the end of it.

Bit of irony there.

Thought I would share.

It looks like just the point of a bullet that isn't a 303 - it has a tiny rounded tip rather than the small flat (meplat) of 303 Mk.VII, and appears to made of a light-coloured brass. I suspect it may be a hand-turned point as it doesn't look like any standard WW1 bullet nose I know of. Others might possibly recognise it?

Regards,

MikB

I don't think it's trench art or a bullet. I have a very vague recollection that it is a dismantling tool or locking pin from something. I think that I've seen one before, many years ago, but can't remember where or what it's for.

I've seen a couple of these. They are however uncommon. Cherish!

John

Bradley

How long is the bullet and cross? it looks tiny. Thanks for posting it.

Pete.

P.S. Would this be Sapper J H Towsley who is buried at Bodelwyddan in North Wales? I looked him up on the CWGC website expecting to find him around Courcelette, Vimy or Passchendaele only to see he is just across the bay from where I live.

It is very small - in total with cross just under an inch. And yes it was part of the belongings of Sapper J H Towsley who is buried at Bodelwyddan in North Wales. Poor fellow made it through the war only to die of pneumonia on the way home.

Thanks for all the comments and posts it is an amazing piece of art.

I don't think it's trench art or a bullet. I have a very vague recollection that it is a dismantling tool or locking pin from something. I think that I've seen one before, many years ago, but can't remember where or what it's for.

I'm not too sure what to make of it. All I know - from the notes - is that was in the personal effects of John's when they were returned to the family.

Bradley

This is trench art - part of a little religious shrine. One in my collection, photos below, comes with its cartridge, with a tiny Croix de Guerre fixed to it. Thus can be carried with the cross inside the cartridge, then set up as a cross whenever needed...

Not sure what the bullet is, I presume a Lebel, but it is small, and dated 1904 - have taken a photo of the base lest anyone can ID it properly.

Hope this helps.

James

post-2897-0-70512900-1384532131_thumb.jp

post-2897-0-92942900-1384532141_thumb.jp

Yes, but the OP's doesn't have that register to locate it in the cartridge case neck.

Regards,

MikB