Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GSW

Jim Hastings

Evening All,

I understand that 'GSW' in reference to casualties in Service Docs etc., although the initials for Gun Shot Wound, also covers shrapnel wounds and other causations of wounding. However, I am looking into a man whose file has some correspondence from Netley hospital and they too refer to GSW / gun shot wounds to parts of his body - would a hospital actually be referring to gun shot wounds or would they also be using the general usage of GSW that covers all causations of injury? If a hospital records that the wound was GSW does that mean it was a bullet wound?

Appreciate any guidance from those forum members with knowledge about hospital procedures and such

I know the incident that this man was mortally wounded in involved hand-to-hand bayonet fighting (have found another wounded man with a bayonet injury), but also a German counterattack involving stick grenades and a flamethrower, alongside rifle and machine gun action.

Many thanks

Jim

Mick, Mr Swan and Sue thank you so much. I can see from your attached post, Mick, that this classification was not always followed, from the examples given, but I take it that it was supposed to be implemented through the whole medical chain? I'll take this and go back to his documents, thank you again

Jim

Welcome to the forum, Indy. Are you reading this from a handwritten document? If so, an image of the relevant part of the document would be very helpful.

Hello

Thank you for your reply.

Yes It's off a hand written document on ancestry. This is the first time I have been on here. I am afraid I don't know yet how to send an image.

Indy

Hi Indy. It is the number of a casualty list - HB 780 which would be dated between 11 July and 5 August 1916. This particular list has not surfaced yet