Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dan Davies

Gareth Davies

Having long thought my family were a bunch of war dodgers all in exempted employment (mainly farmers and coal miners) my aunt has recently found a photograph of my 2 of my great great grandparents together with a couple of their 9 children, one of whom is in what looks very much to my untrained eye to be Great War vintage army uniform.

His name was Dan Davies and his siblings were Penny, Harry, Dai, Charlotte, Sarah, Lil, Mag and William (who was my great grandfather). They lived outside Laugharne on a farm, most likely as tenants. I know it's not much to go on but I would love to try and find out a little about my great grandfather's brother. Any information would be gratefully received.

Dan ... Dan ... was he involved in field hygiene activities?

Seriously, does the pic show anything of use?

Seriously, does the pic show anything of use?

Nope. It is a family group, he is standing up in uniform, no rank nor badges visible and buttons far too small to see ay markings on them. He does have a lanyard on his left arm which is lighter in colour than his uniform.

Is he this one?

Dan Davies of Broadway, Laugharne Township was Cpl 126547 in MGC according to Carmartheshire 1919 AVL. Do you have access to MICs etc?

The only other Davies in the parish was William James Davies of Morfa Bach Cottage

Hywy7n

Hywyn - Thank you for this. I have no idea if either of those are him but I will pass the details on to my aunt, she may know. Thank you.

Hywyn - I don't have access to any records so anything you can provide would be much appreciated.

• 4 years later...

I’m resurrecting this. 

126547 is the man. I would love to know more about him.

With an enlistment date 26/10/14 it would be too soon for that MGC number. What other unit might he have served in. Always possible there's another MIC for 14/15 star only ?

23C1F468-56EC-485E-89A8-3C3C3C60E408.jpeg

Thank you.

Thank you.

Hi,

10 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Just to note that that MGC number seems to have been issued c 6/11/17

I agree with Charlie.

126532 Gladwin - transferred to MGC 06.11.1917

126533 Greenfield - transferred to MGC 06.11.1917

126536 Kendrick - transferred to MGC 06.11.1917

126558 Hardiman - transferred to MGC 06.11.1917

126568 Atkinson - transferred to MGC 07.11.1917

Regards

Chris

Ta.

Can't add much I'm afraid Gareth.

Davies must have been in another regiment prior to transferring to the MGC on 6th November 1917. I'm assuming Chris's transfers don't have previous unit recorded, and looking (arbitrarily) at the MGC medal rolls page with Davies's number and the ones immediately preceding and succeeding it, there are only four men who do (three ASC and a Gloucester). Perhaps they were the only ones with previous overseas service.

• 126536 Pte William John Kendrick has service papers on Ancestry - he enlisted aged 18 on 5th March 1917, was transferred to 2nd Bn MGC on 6th November 1917 and went overseas with them on 7th January 1918.
  • 126558 Pte Hardiman also has a few surviving papers, which show him as a Driver, ASC (attested 10th October 1914 aged 26) transferred to MGC (there's an illegible entry dated 7-11-17) and went overseas with 2nd Bn.

A straw-clutching trawl through the 1914-15 Stars on Ancestry to Daniel Davies produces several in RWF and SWB... who was the 'local' recruiter - the Welsh Regiment? There're a number of them. Final straw to clutch: did Dan Davies have a middle name?

Hi,

17 minutes ago, Pat Atkins said:

I'm assuming Chris's transfers don't have previous unit recorded

They did. There was some commonality for Gladwin, Greenfield and Kendrick in that they were called up in 1917, were with 46/TRB until 22nd October 1917 when they were transferred to the Essex Regiment, and then to the MGC. Unfortunately, the others didn't appear to follow the same path.

Regards

Chris

Thank you.

Nothing to do with this, but my Latin teacher was called Dan Davies. When I and a friend were in Paris on a school trip we sent him a dirty postcard addressed to, "Dan Davies Wife's Hairdressing Salon, Dawlish". WE had had the odd beer or three.

It got there!

When we got back we expected him to say something, but he said not a word. We eventually asked him something and he produced the postcard. He thought it had been sent by the French Assistant!

Those were the days.