Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RememberWW1.org

NigelS

I don't believe this has been mentioned before: The cover & 2nd page of the 'Weekend' section of today's Daily telegraph (9th November) has details of this campaign under the title 'Spirit of the Home Front' unfortunately, not yet available on-line (least that I can find) the opening paragraph gives:

To mark the forthcoming 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the Great War, Clive Aslet - in partnership with the Telegraph - launches Remember WW1, a new campaign to mobilise Britons to serve their communities as a gesture of thanks to the millions who gave their lives.

Link: RememberWW1.org

Having read the article and had a look at the website (not, apparently, fully fledged yet) I find myself a little bemused by the concept and wondering if it will be a viable scheme.

NigelS

Let`s hope so mate. Well found.

More power to `em I say. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Nigel,

Thank you for your comments and interest in Remember WW1. Our website www.rememberww1.org provides information on how the campaign came about, what we aim to do, and some of the individuals and organisations involved.

As a brief explanation, we aim to mobilise mass volunteering around the commemoration of WW1. We will encourage individuals and organisations to reflect upon the Service given and Sacrifices made during WW1 and the effect this had on Society; in doing so, we ask people to consider what Service means today, and to Sacrifice either time, knowledge or money in order to have a positive impact on Society. After the success of the Jubilee Hour, which mobilised over 2 million hours of volunteering, we believe this campaign will motivate many more people to contribute positively to their communities and beyond.

A larger and interactive website will be launched next year allowing volunteers to pledge their efforts and log activities, access volunteer toolkits, and connect with local projects across the UK. While we will not be prescriptive in what we ask people to do, we hope to provide lots of inspiration and opportunities that will help you and your communities to get involved. Please feel free to begin considering or planning what you might do to commemorate those affected by WW1.

As we near the official centenary next year more avenues for active engagement will become available, but for now you can keep up-to-date by signing up for our monthly newsletter at www.RememberWW1.org.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to direct them to us via the web portal.

Kind regards,

Remember WW1

Does not appear to be any involvement with Brightsolid, got to be a bonus, or pay to view as yet, yet another bonus

Andy

We will encourage individuals and organisations to reflect upon the Service given and Sacrifices made during WW1 and the effect this had on Society; in doing so, we ask people to consider what Service means today, and to Sacrifice either time, knowledge or money in order to have a positive impact on Society......
..... allowing volunteers to pledge their efforts and log activities, access volunteer toolkits, and connect with local projects across the UK. While we will not be prescriptive in what we ask people to do, we hope to provide lots of inspiration and opportunities that will help you and your communities to get involved.

Where's the RBL in all this? Surely they are the premier Organisation involved in Remembrance?

What can remembering WW1 have as an impact on communities today?

Why does everything now have to have such stilted "Mission Statements"?

I hope it does, but it's preaching to the converted here, I can't see the Mission Statement getting understood by much of the yoof of today.....

I don't understand from the brief details on the web whether this is actually suggesting that people volunteer for a project that is to do with remembering/war/conflict, or whether it's simply trying to associate service in the past with service in the future. Is it saying that because people served/sacrificed in the past, that's a valid reason for becoming a volunteer today, regardless of the background of the charitable good cause? I assume using the centenary of the Great War as a platform to increase the supply of volunteers in general.

Sue

Signed up today - lets see how it pans out.

Ant