Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lincolnshire Tank

Gunner Bailey

On my travels last week I was able to drop into the Museum of Lincolnshire Life in Lincoln.

It really is an excellent museum. Based in the old headquarters of the Lincolnshire Yeomanry, it houses a good display on the Lincolnshire Regiment with many interesting items. There is a great display of steam engines and there is a Clayton WW1 tractor used for hauling guns.

It also has a WW1 Tank. On loan from the Tank Museum at Bovingdon, it is said to be the oldest in existence.

Here are some photos.

John

post-8629-0-95328800-1384026063_thumb.jp

post-8629-0-29747100-1384026126_thumb.jp

post-8629-0-71242700-1384026164_thumb.jp

post-8629-0-35926000-1384026228_thumb.jp

Interesting, do they claim it's the oldest Tank in existence? Tank Museum has 'Little Willie', a Mk I and a Mk II, all of which are definitely older - and I don't think anyone is certain of the identity of the Mk IV Female at Lincoln so can't confirm if it's even the oldest Mk IV (and may be preceded by the Schneider or St Chamond at Saumur)

The original Flirt allegedly on being shipped back from France. However since the paint job on the tank in Lincoln is not original it isn't possible to confirm that it's the same tank!

post-9885-0-28412000-1384090376_thumb.jp

Mk IV production started in Mar 17. The Schneider in Saumur is a CA1 and I know that CA2 prototypes were first tested in Mar 17 so it is possible that the Lincoln tank is older than the Saumur Schneider.

Edit: The first batch of 400 Schneider CA1s were built in 1916 so I reckon that proves RobL is correct. And the order for the first 400 St Chamonds was placed in Apr 16 but I can't find the production schedule in my rather badly filed set of notes.

According to German contemporaries German Intelligence was already warning about possible attacks by French armoured tracked vehicles before the first British tanks appeared on the Somme.

The original Flirt allegedly on being shipped back from France. However since the paint job on the tank in Lincoln is not original it isn't possible to confirm that it's the same tank!

attachicon.gifflirt.jpg

Thanks for the photo. They certainly did a good job on the paintwork.

Yes Rob, the museum claims it as the oldest.

John

Thanks for the photo. They certainly did a good job on the paintwork.

Yes Rob, the museum claims it as the oldest.

John

Museums often claim silly things

Museums often claim silly things

In this case I'd agree. I would like to hear Bovingdon's view of this.

John

In this case I'd agree. I would like to hear Bovingdon's view of this.

John

I emailed Bovington ( :thumbsup:) late last year on this very subject, and got the following reply from curator David Willey:

"If you can hold your interest for a few more months we will be publishing the Haynes manual on the Mk IV tank (in a similar manner to the one we did on the Tiger tank a year ago).

The book will have a piece on this Mark IV with the latest research done on the tank by David Fletcher our historian. I would hate to jump the gun and send it all to you now but suffice to say the tank is not all it seems and the Flirt connection may be very tenuous. The tank is also not Lincoln built which is another myth readily repeated."

Thanks Andrew. Useful information. I did personally think that Bovingdon would be unlikely to give away their oldest tank.

John

Thanks Andrew. Useful information. I did personally think that Bovingdon would be unlikely to give away their oldest tank.

John

Think it's only on loan anyway

Here's the Clayton Tractor. Great contemorary tracks!

John

post-8629-0-10080800-1384190134_thumb.jp