Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier from 2/4 York and Lancs. Wounded in France.

Friedland

Hu Guys,

I'm currently researching my Great Grandfather, Herbert Vincent Broughton (Born 1890). So far I've collected the following details through Ancestry, my own family paperwork and an Online history of the 62nd Division etc.

Herbert Vincent Broughton. Private 6282.

2/4 York and Lancs (Hallamshire) Regiment. Territorial Force.

Enlisted 17th July. 1916.

Discharged 24th April 1917 Under Kings Regulations 392 XIV - No longer fit for duty.

Presented with Silver War Badge number 186652. Piece 3157.

Record class 329. Group WO. For wounds on Overseas Service.

I lived with him and my grandparents in the last few years of his life, so am able to confirm that he'd been gassed and suffered significantly in later days due to it. Unfortunately he spoke very little of his experiences, so I had to rely on vague family recollections.

In my research I managed to gather that he would have disembarked with his regiment at Le Havre in January 1917 for operations on the Ancre covering 11th Jan to 13 March 1917. Then possibly the German retreat to the Hindenburg Line from 14th March to 5th April.

I managed to apply for copies of the Regimental War Diary from the National Archives (currently waiting for reply) which should shed more light.

However, to narrow my search I was wondering how long it could be from wounds received on the battlefield (in this case gas) and finally being declared "Unfit for Duty"?. This would give me a better view of how long he spent at the front before the incident.

Also, my family often repeated the idea that he'd been subject to Mustard Gas. Although I'm doubting this because according to many sources Mustard Gas was used on the Western Front later on that year (so maybe Chlorine Gas?).

Any comments would be gratefully received.