Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

leicester regiment

daniel robertson

my great uncle W. A. Lewin served in the leicester regiment and was killed in april 1917 in france. Can anyone giude me in the right direction to find out about any key battles in ww1

You could try getting a copy of this:

Footprints of the 1/4th Leicestershire Battalion August 1914 - November 1918 by John Milne.

This would give a good overview of his Battalion in the war.

A kick start from Long Long Trail [click on at top left of page].

Battalions of the Territorial Force

1/4th Battalion
August 1914 : in Leicester. Part of Lincoln and Leicester Brigade, North Midland Division. Soon moved to Luton and by November 1914 was at Bishop's Stortford.
Landed at Le Havre 3 March 1915.
12 May 1915 : formation became the 138th Brigade, 46th (North Midland) Division.

Go to LLT and follow through the Brigade and Division.

There may be an online war diary at The National Archives website. If there is it can be downloaded for £3.36.

Good Morning Daniel,

Walter was born on the 23rd February 1897 at Oakham to Walter & Alice Lewin, and I have a residence down as being at 30 Northgate Street, Oakham.

Walter enlisted originally into the Leicestershire Yeomanry in March 1916, he was a groom by trade, but was transferred to the Leicestershire Regiment before embarking to France on the 21st December 1916. He was killed during a short and intense bombardment.

I'll have a look at the battalion diary and get back to you later today.

Regards.

Llew.

Rutland and the Great War.

Lewin.Pte Walter Albert,1/4 Leicestershire Regiment, son of Mr and Mrs Walter Lewin of 30 Northgate Street, Oakham, was a native of that town, and was born on February 23rd 1897. He was a groom and joined the Leicestershire Yeomanry in March 1916, just after reaching the age of 19. He was transfered to the infantry regiment, and went abroad with a draft on December 21st 1917.He was killed in action during a short but intense bombardment on 21st April, 1918, and was buried,with some others by his comrades,in Mazingarbe Communal Cemetery, near Vermelles, two days later.The chaplain, in a sympathetic letter to Pte., Lewin's parents, wrote " They have laid down their lives in the courseof bravely and faithfully doing their duty to King and Country, and, as we believe,in the cause of God and Right."

Bob

Danny,

The battalion diary is not to clear but reads as follows,

21/4/17

C Coy attacked enemy trench COOPER with two platoons numbers 9 and 12 commanded by 2nd Lt’s H. J. A. Parkinson and E C. -?-. Objective gained without loss. Two enemy prisoners taken of 93rd REGT. Trench now N.1.d to N.7.b on edge of CITE ST LAURENT. 2nd Lt A. W. LESLIE (D Coy) killed whilst carrying -?- ammunition to the line.

Hello Bob,

Does Rutland and the Great War show a photo with each casualty?

Regards to you both.

Llew.

Llew.

Not sure if there are photographs of all the casualties from Rutland but the book has a large number of photographs.

Bob

thanks for your help guys....i need to try and find out which COY and platoon he served in if thats possible..Any suggestions oin best way to do this

thanks Danny

• 1 month later...

Daniel,

welcome to the forum. I am researching men in my local villages and have been for some time and think there may be a family connection between your Walter and one of my local chaps due to a couple of considents?!

The man in question was called James Lewin Dove who fought and died with the 1/5th Leicesters on 29th September 1918.

Thanks to Llew and Little Bob I have been able to piece together a good chunk of his life - including his life in Oakham.

Whilst his Father and Mother (George and Ann) lived in West Haddon, Northamptonshire (James' name appears on the West Haddon memorial hence my interest), James actually lived in in Oakham with his wife Emma Dove residing in 21 New Street, Oakham and 26 Kings Road, Oakham.

I am wondering whether there is a family connection between your Walter and James - his middle name could have come from his mother's side (Ann Dove could have been a Lewin prior to marrying George and settling in West Haddon?).

There is also the link to Oakham - maybe James' wife Emma was a local girl that James bumped into whilst visiting relatives in Oakham?

Do you know any more about your family tree - it could be you have stumbled across another family member who fought and died in the war?

James had 2 brothers - George and Frank - both survived the war. George served with the ASC and was mentioned in dispatches and Frank served with the 2nd Northants being severely wounded at Aubers Ridge.

It would be very interesting to know if there is a family connection?

I have attached a picture of James kindly supplied by Little Bob from "Rutland and the Great War".

Good luck with your research and I'll let you know if I turn anything up myself.

All the best,

Antpost-51916-0-97343300-1389085412_thumb.j

Hi Anthony, i have read your message with interest. i am currently working on my family history and will check to see if there are any possible connections between James Lewin Dove and my great uncle Walter Albert Lewin

good luck with your valuable research

take care Danny

Danny,

Think the family link may be a little tenuous from the brief search I have done but you never know!

I have also discovered a 3rd oldest brother called Charles who served in the Royal Field Artillery. He survived the war unlike his younger brother James.

Keep me posted if you find any connection please - it would be very interesting to know.

All the very best,

Ant