Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pvt. Lawrence Edward Jackson #48830 6th Btn. Northumberland Regiment

dhobbs1978

Hi All,

My first post. I've been trying to research some of my relatives who served in the Armed forces. I am currently researching my Great Uncle Lawrence Edward Jackson. The information I have to date is pre-war info such as birth, census etc but as to his time in the forces I only have details as at the time of his death - Pvt. Lawrence Edward Jackson 48830, died 31st July 1918 aged 18years, 'B' Coy 6th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment. He is remembered on the Pozieres Memorial.

I appreciate that as a Pvt he is unlikely to be named in person in any documents so I guess I am just trying to find out how he might have died, what his troop movements might have been before his death so I can have a better understanding of his life.

I very much appreciate any help.

Thanks,

David

Morning David

Welcome to the Forum.

You can download the War Diary for just over 3 quid here

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4555195&isFullDescription=False

Whilst you may not find out exactly WHEN he was drafted to France. at least you can follow the battalion's actions immediately prior to his death.

The WD records

"30 July 1918 - battalion marched off to the line by platoons. A 3 hours halt at Heilly where battalion bathed in Ancre and had tea. Marched off at 9pm and relieved the 53rd Battalion of infantry, Australian Imperial Forces in line north east of Sailly Laurette occupying the front captured by them from the enemy on the night of 29/30th. relief complete 1am 31st. Work during remainder of day on reopeing supply (?????) communication trench to new front line."

No mention of any casualties.

Regards,

Graeme

Because Lawrence Jackson's service records don't survive, we can only make what is hopefully an educated guess at a soldier's movements. Fortunately, the army were fairly consistent with their administration. Army numbers were usually issued in close sequences, so we can often use the experiences of men with nearby numbers to estimate what may have happened to those whose numbers a very similar. By 1917 it also often happened that a group of young soldiers enlisting together would go through training together.

Having looked at men with close numbers to 48830 it appears that there was a group of 18 year olds who enlisted in mid-1917 and were called up for service on 1st November 1917. These were posted to the 4th Reserve Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment (at Crowborough) on 2nd November 1917 receiving their numbers at that time. After a period of training with the 4th Reserve Battalion they were posted to France in April 1918 - both the 6th and 2nd Battalions had been heavily engaged near Villers Bretonneux a few days before, so the draft was apparently split between the two battalions, with the 6th Battalion men being posted to them on 9th April 1918. I believe that Lawrence Edward Jackson would have also followed this route to the front.

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Robert Jackson

Hi David

Lawrence Edward Jackson is the brother of my Father and I would very much like to know where you fit into our family. My Father and Uncle Lawrie were from a family of six boys and four girls, the details of which I have. Please contact me for any info and I will be happy to help.

Regards

Robert Jackson