Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Citation for MM

rickpreston@nasuwt.net

I am having problems finding the citation for a man who was named in the London Gazette as being awarded the MM=

"Supplement to the London Gazette 19th Febuary 1917. page 1753". 68449 Pte J W Monkhouse RAMC.

I have newpaper cuttings reporting that he has been awarded the MM but it does not say exactly why he got it. His unit diaries also (91st Field Ambulance Unit) does not say why he got it.

The only reference in the diary was that on Christmas Day 1916 it was stated that he and the unit was told that he was to receive a MM but no citation.

Can any body help or advise me where I could find it?

Richard

Hi Richard,

Generally speaking citations for WW1 M.M.'s do not exist, or at least the recommendations have not survived. If you know where Pte Monkhouse came from then there is a good chance that he may get a mention in the local newspaper for the period. You will probably need to start looking some three months or so previous to the L.G. date, ie around 1/11/16. There may be a heading under 'Local man awarded the M.M.' or similar and very often it will give details of the reason/s for which the award was made.

Good luck,

Robert

PS I see that you may have already taken this route? whoops!!

Interesting thread (for me!)

Howard Williamson wrote "The Great War Medal Collectors Companion" - 1st edition (2011), of which I have a copy. I'm pretty sure he is in the middle of writing his next book which is exclusively about WW1 MMs, including all available citations, MM certificates, etc.

If anyone knows whether a citation for your man exists I think Howard would know. He is an active member of British Medals Forum.

I'm curious about your inquiry, do you happen to know the whereabouts of the MM or medal group to 68449 Pte J W Monkhouse RAMC?

Regards, Andrew

MONKHOUSE J.W. PTE 68449 91ST FIELD AMBULANCE RAMC MM L/GAZ 19.2.17.A SOMME AWARD.SERVED 32ND DIVISION.AWARD MOST LIKELY FOR THE BATTLE OF THE ANCRE OCT/JAN 1916/17.

CITATION ALMOST CERTAINLY ALONG THE LINES OF......"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during operations on the Ancre (date Oct/Nov 1916)For dressing and bringing in the wounded under heavy fire"

Hope this is helpful.best w, Howard (compiler MM Roll WW1)