Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte John Frederick Bacon 41347 11th Btn Essex Reg

Stephen Tipler

I am part of a committee called `Ryburgh Remembers` which is researching the 23 names of the WW1 dead on our village war memorial. The gentleman referred to in the title block was formerly 6055 Norfolk Regiment, he is buried in the Niederzwehren cemetery Germany. This means he was taken prisoner at some point according to his MIC he is entitled to GW and V medals.

What we would like to know is it possible to find out when and where he was taken prisoner, if he was previously interned in another cemetery before being brought here, is there a record of him being wounded or did he die of illness. Also is it possible to find out when he transferred to 11th Essex and where they fought between 1916 and 1918.

I know this is a lot to ask but we don`t have much info on this pseron so anything will be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to hearing some info.

Steve

SDGW:
Name:
John Frederick Bacon

Birth Place: Little Snoring, Norfolk

Residence: Great Ryburgh, Norfolk

Death Date: 18 Apr 1920

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Norwich

Regiment: Essex Regiment

Battalion: 11th Battalion

Number: 41347

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Comments: Formerly 6055, Norfolk Regt.

Note the difference in date from CWGC, I suspect this one is incorrect.

If you contact CWGC they will be able to tell you if Private Bacon was moved from another cemetery. Use the 'contact us' facility on the website.

Steve

No apparent service record has survived the 1940 bombing of London.

Your subject's 11 Essex were part of 18 Brigade of 6 Division from Oct 1915,your man didn't enter the fray until at least 1916 as his medals do not include a Star (pre-1916 service in a war zone).

http://www.1914-1918.net/6div.htm

11 Essex War Diary is digital and downloadable for 3.36 from the Discovery database at the NA. Ref WO95/1616.It will cover from 1915 to 1919.

Trying to seperate the two Regiments for his service,one method is to find similar numbers elsewhere in the remaining records,the snag is the number sequence to enlistment date is often erratic and this is no exception. But you may be able to draw some conclusion. His Essex number 41347:

41270 is 13.11.1915

41301 is 12.12.1915

41310 is 27.03.1916

41343 is 29.10.1914 (!)

41423 is 11.12.1915

41464 is 28.07.1916

There is also a database somewhere which gives a few more clues,someone here may be able to point you at it.

Finding a clue to his Norfolk Battalion,which is who he first served on landing in a war zone can be got from the original Medal Roll at Kew. The Medal Index Card ref K/2/102B15 p 751 refers to ledger WO329/1378 page 751 which should show that detail.A visit is needed unless you can get someone here to do a Look Up. From that you can track where the Battalion might have served as you can tie it to a Division and a War Diary.

In my opinion he may well have been captured at the Battle of St Quentin (21-23 Mar 1918)during the big German Offensive when we lost a lot of troops to POWs.

http://www.1914-1918.net/bat22.htm

If you look at CWGC you will see that his cemetery was used to consolidate burials after the war,and seeing that he is in Section IX,the highest section, I believe that he probably came in from another POW cemetery elsewhere in Germany

Meant to mention yesterday,his Norfolk number you quote (6055) doesn't appear on the MIC but 29078 does,so he went to war as the latter number. He may have been a Regular pre-war and a Reservist before recall,which might explain his second Norfolk number. It looks as if there is no strict sequence there either,some lower numbers seem to gave been re-issued,28910 : 21.7.1913 and 29036: 14.4.1916 !

Gents

You guys and girls really know your stuff, this is really good information the research we are doing is throwing up some amazingly interesting information. The plot thickens and the further we go the deeper the plot gets.

Thanks again will need you again no doubt!!

Steve

Steve

If you don't get the Battalion of the Norfolks served on first landing in the next two weeks let me know by Personal Message here (click on my name on the left of this message and open the send a message file) and I will find it when I visit Kew sometime near the end of Nov.

Sotonmate, you never cease to amaze me with the fullness of your answers!

In the OP two service numbers are given 41347 1nd 6055, where does 29078 come from?

Sotonmate, you never cease to amaze me with the fullness of your answers!

In the OP two service numbers are given 41347 1nd 6055, where does 29078 come from?

29078 is on the MIC, 6055 isn't !

29078 is on the MIC, 6055 isn't !

Missed your earlier post about that bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve

Soldier Bacon's Medal Roll has no Norfolk Battalion shown. It was issued by the Essex Regt as they were the last unit he served with,and they don't seem to have got round to including this data as most other Infantry Regiments did.

If you wish to have the page I copied let me have your e-mail address via our Message system.