Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ploegsteert Memorial

ploggy

Hello,
the road to Ploegsteert Memorial will be closed from 15:00 hrs due to the inauguration of the new visitor center.

From Sunday 10 it will be open to the public.

Claude

Hi Claude,

Received the invite to the opening, that I accepted, however, no parking notices have been received by myself or another party here in Arras.

Looks like things might be a little confused tomorrow. or perhaps, they have abandoned the parking procedures as mentioned in the invitation.

Will have to allow more time to get there. Thanks for this info.

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow. Best regards, Peter

I'd love to see some pictures of the new museum, if possible!

Roel

Hello,

the road to Ploegsteert Memorial will be closed from 15:00 hrs due to the inauguration of the new visitor center.

From Sunday 10 it will be open to the public.

Claude

Claude I take it that you are referring to the main road that passes in front of the memorial. You do not say what time it will be open again and just where the road closures will be. In my limited experiance closiing roads in Belgium seems to happen on a regular basis!.

Cheers

Norman :thumbsup:

I'd love to see some pictures of the new museum, if possible!

Roel

Hi Roel,

Was very dark by the time we left last evening. The Opening Ceremony was in a large marquee and it was veeeery cold. We were seated and the speeches went on for around 90 minutes. We were all frozen-through by the time they finished. New Zealand, German and Australian Ambassadors were present. We were asked to stay in the marquee whilst they opened the Centre (visible on-screen inside the marquee). By the time we watched the opening, had one drink (hic!) and, headed over, we were stopped by officials who said there were too many inside and we could not enter. My driver declared he was freezing and was going home. Naturally I had to follow as it is a long, wet walk back to Arras.

Expect to be driving past on Wednesday and will stop, wife permitting, and snap a shot or two.

May take a while to post as we are packing up to go south (long way south) in four days and things are getting hectic.

Regards, Peter

Hi Peter, I understand circumstances were not 100% to take pictures, to say the least.

Maybe better luck next wednesday!

Meanwhile have a nice trip.

Roel