Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robin Neillands

paulgranger

The late Robin Neillands was a prolific author, covering military subjects from the 100 Years War to the Normandy Campaign, and including 4 books on the Great War; The Old Contemptibles, The Death of Glory, Attrition, and The Great War Generals on the Western Front.

All of the latter are available as Kindle books for £2.99 or less - Old Contemptibles is currently free - and they are well worth a read, especially his book on the Generals.

To be honest, Paul (and I have said this before), I have always found his books pretty-well unreadable I'm afraid. Each to his own, however.

That's very true. As I've said elsewhere, I struggle with Saul David's work, though he is much admired. Chacun a son gout as the French probably don't say.

His book on the generals didn't seem that bad to me. You can't compare it with Sheffield's "The Chief" but I certainly wouldn't call it "unreadable". Haven't read any others of his books though.

Hazel C.

Always found his books an easy read and informative. As an ex Royal Marine, his comments about his visit to Dieppe in his book on the raid are more than enlightening.

I like his Normandy one and Attrition was ok.

TT

I really enjoyed 'The Old Contemptibles'. I found it particularly good on the pre-war period and the role and machinations of Henry Wilson

David