Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SherborneSchoolArchives

I wonder whether anyone can help me.? I am trying to find out information about one of our school's old boys, Oscar Frank Mortiz. I would particularly like to know who the old school friend was who found and buried Moritz's body several weeks after he was killed at Delville Wood on 27 July 1916. Any suggestions of where I might be able to find out more information would be very gratefully received.

The information I have about Oscar Frank Moritz, together with his photograph, is available on my Flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/98140820@N03/9342534158/ and also below:

Details: Oscar Frank Moritz (1885-1916), fifth son of the late Hermann Moritz (of the London Stock Exchange) and Elisa Mathilda Moritz (nee Kronhelm) of West Bank, Broadlands Road, Highgate, London. Born at Edmonton, Middlesex, on 21 March 1885. Brothers: Arnold Moritz (1872-1949) and Julius Hermann Moritz (1874-1918).
Attended Cholmeley's School, Highgate.
Attended Sherborne School (The Green) 1898-1903; 6th form; Head of House.
Barrister-at-Law (Middle Temple) 1910.
Tenant of Elibank Farm, Walkerburn.
WW1, 2nd Lieutenant in the Machine Gun Corps. Enlisted in the Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC) on 5 September 1914 as a stretcher bearer and rapidly rose to be a Staff Sergeant. On 30 April 1915 commissioned to the Border Regiment, 10th Bn.; transferred to the Machine Gun Corps (99th) in January 1916; served with the Expeditionary Force in France and Flanders from April 1916 and saw much fighting on Vimy Ridge. He was reported wounded and missing after heavy fighting at at Delville Wood on 27 July 1916 while trying to bring up reinforcements for his gun, having previously received a wound in the thigh. During the battle every officer in his section of the Machine Gun Corps was either killed or wounded. Moritz's body was found some seven weeks later by an old school friend who buried him. He is commemorated at Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 5 C and 12 C., and on the Walkerburn War Memorial.

Rachel Hassall

School Archivist, Sherborne School

Email: rhassall@sherborne.org

• 4 months later...

I am still looking for information about 2nd Lieutenant Oscar Frank Moritz (1885-1916) who was reported wounded and missing after heavy fighting at Delville Wood on 27 July 1916. If anyone has come across his service record I would be grateful to know if it includes any information to verify a story that his body was found by a school friend several weeks after his death and buried. Further details are included in my last post (below).

I would be very grateful for any information.

His service record is in WO 339/39598 - this has not been digitised so would require a trip to The National Archves at Kew

Many thanks for this information, David.