Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Robert Hutton - Scottish Horse - KIA 1917

Rob Chester

Captain Robert Hutton was killed by a sniper 22 August 1917, and is commemorated at Tyne Cot. He had only been in France since May 1917. He was with the Scottish Horse and it looks like he joined as a Private and was promoted. Does anybody know anything about the Scottish Horse or where I might find out more about the circumstances of his death, what battalion he was with etc.

My five year old daughter will be laying a poppy for him on Sunday (he was her great uncle - on her mothers side) and it would be nice if I could tell her a little more about him, so any help would be much appreciated.

I am attaching his MIC

Thanks.

Rob

post-23048-0-99624100-1383862671_thumb.j

This is a bit "odd". I thought that the Scottish Horse Yeomanry had "disappeared" when the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Battalions, who had fought as dismounted troops at Gallipoli, were "amalgamated" into the 13th Battalion (Scottish Horse Yeomanry) of the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) in 1916 in Egypt.

They then served at Salonica before moving to France in June 1918.

The Scottish National War Memorial lists Captain Hutton on the Scottish Horse Roll and on the Black Watch Roll (as formerly Scottish Horse).

It may be that he came from the 2nd or 3rd line Bn.s and the latter were linked to the Black Watch.

I suspect his service file would be the only way to sort this out.

The medal card index does show him as Private 112.

Can you tell me his full address - the photo cuts it off.

So he might actually have been in the Black Watch as part of the Scottish Horse had been amalgamated with them, and that is why he was in France, is that right? Robert was born in Scotland but the family moved when he was a child to Burton on Trent and then on to Latchford, Warrington, That is the address on the card. Originally the family were from Clackmannanshire. My father in law has the telegram sent notifying his mother of his death. A pencil note on the telegram says he was killed by a sniper.