Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

36th Division - rebuilding after 1st July 1916

Messina1915

I've looked on the National Archives catalogue but none of the Division/Brigade diaries have been digitalised, and I don't really want to spend money on the diary of a random battalion when I really want to know about the division as a whole, so I'm hoping someone here can answer some of my questions, although really just interested in the whole process of rebuilding after such high casualties.

1) How early on 2nd July was the division relieved? I know it would have taken time from start to finish, but I'm curious how quickly it was done given they were not the only division to have suffered horrific losses.

2) Which division replaced them?

3) On the Long, Long Trail, their next listed engagement is the Battle of Messines, so they did not go "over the top" again on the Somme. I'm assuming they were back holding the line somewhere before then - where/when?

Cheers,

Carole.

The Ulster Division was relieved at nightfall on the 2nd of July by the 49th (West Riding) Division.

From the History of the 36th Ulster Division - Cyril Falls, "The relief was not complete until after 10 o'clock the following morning, when a weary, tattered, pitiful remnant marched into Martinsart and flung themselves down to sleep."

PM me an e-mail address if you want some scans of the divisional history from the Somme to Messines.

Mick.

Thanks Mick!