Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photograph date please

museumtom

Agreed Late 20s to mid 30s -- but possibly as late as early WW2 although I think collar insignia had gone by then.

Collar insignia and lanyards on right shoulder would suggest 20s to me.

Chris

Could be very late 30's, just at the start of WWII is likely from the Gas masks as Oz mentioned.

Nice photo. Is it Royal Artillery looking at cap badge (also gun might have something to do with it??)

Mike

Mid 20's to mid 30's as has been mentioned. Their collars have not been "tweaked" to look smart, the one on the left has his undone, and the way chaps on the L and R are wearing their equipment looks a mess - the one on the left has his water bottle in a very strange place. The centre chap is wearing riding breeches and the other two trousers.

Well done and thank you all. It has been most enlightening.

Kind regards.

Tom.

...the one on the left has his water bottle in a very strange place...

That's actually quite a common way to wear the bottle - when on a horse (or some other form of very "bumpy" transport) it stops the bottle flapping about and being a nuisance/danger.

Point taken .Still looks an uncomfortable way to wear it, even when mounted, unless it was tucked behind the arm rather than under it.

I would venture early to mid1930s; the way of wearing the respirator modified for mounted troops, the carrying what appear to be elements of the battery staff equipment on the left hip, the style of the cap. As Andrew has said, the wearing of the water bottle under the arm is the correct method for mounted troops.