Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th Middlesex Regt

ralphjd

Same book,(former Man City players) different man, served with the 17th Middlesex Regt = Franklin Charles Buckley, known as Major Buckley Wolves FC manager after the war, part of his pension record has survived when he enlisted in 1915. According to Wikepedia he was wounded in the lungs and presumably discharged, any pal know where in France/Belgium he suffered his injuries ? Ralph.

In January 1917 Buckley was back on the Western Front The Football Battalion attacked German positions at Argenvillers. Buckley was "mentioned in dispatches" as a result of the bravery he showed during the hand-to-hand fighting that took place during the offensive. The Germans used poison gas during this battle and Buckley's already damaged lungs were unable to cope and he was sent back home to recuperate.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/WOLVESbuckley.htm

In January 1917 Buckley was back on the Western Front The Football Battalion attacked German positions at Argenvillers. Buckley was "mentioned in dispatches" as a result of the bravery he showed during the hand-to-hand fighting that took place during the offensive. The Germans used poison gas during this battle and Buckley's already damaged lungs were unable to cope and he was sent back home to recuperate.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/WOLVESbuckley.htm

I am somewhat confused by this...... Did Major Buckley return to the Footballers Battalion from his recuperation? The 17th Middlesex were part of 6 Brigade of the 2nd Division. They moved to the Courcelette sector in January 1917. The earliest action they saw was as support to the South Staffords during the Miramount Road attack in February 1917.As far as I am aware no gas was used by the Germans to repell the attackers.

I don't know where Argenvillers is, tried to Google Map but to no avail.

Hi Donald,

I simply copied the information directly from the Spartacus link above, however I read it as actually meaning "Auchenvilliers". With hindsight, that probably wasn't a great indicator of a reliable source.

As an aside, there is a biography of him available, which may be a better source - "The Major: The Life and Times of Frank Buckley" - http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Major-Times-Frank-Buckley/dp/0752436066

Feeling guilty, i've checked the contemporary newspaper reports. He was certainly in Bournbrook Hospital at the beginning of August 1916, with an injured arm and shoulder in addition to a punctured lung, but no location given. By September, he was well enough to attend a Birmingham City match. Although he had his arm in a sling, he was apparently looking much healthier, if rather weak.

I'm struggling to confirm his involvement in 1917, but will keep looking.

Thanks for the reply. Auchenvilliers is more plausible than Argenvillers, but is across the river Ancre from the Courcelette sector. The book about the Footballers Battalion seems to give up on Buckley, stating that he was injured during the assault on Delville Wood in late July 1916. The next mention, in a football sense, is after the war when he was managing Norwich City.

• 2 years later...

Would anyone have the fulld entails of the Footballers book please?

I have a single Victory Medal to a 2nd Lt James Beadnell Skerry. Kia 1/16/16 and would like to find out more.

Thanks

Tim