Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

To replace missing medals

Khaki

I have the opportunity to purchase a WM &VM (unnamed) to replace those of a family member whose GW pair disappeared (who knows when). His photo (in uniform) hangs on our dining room wall. Am I being too sentimental or have other members done the same? I wouldn't have the medals engraved as I don't see the point and it probably wouldn't look right. I didn't want repro medals and these originals don't turn up very often, so I have to make up my mind pretty quick.

any advice?

khaki

Hi Khaki,

If these are genuine un-named (not erased) medals and the price is reasonable, then I think your idea is admirable. (Genuine un-named WW1 medals do seem to attract quite a premium.)

Robert

I have done the same....more to protect the originals of the man in the avatar (MM, 15 Star, BWM, VM and C de G) which are in a safe. Three sets of copies made for the branches of the family all from original un-named medals). The engraving on the rims is not particularly good and clearly reveals them to be replacements which is OK because if they ever get stolen, the sentimental value is zero (as we have the originals) and they can easily be identified as replacements so no dealer would rightly want to touch them. Not cheap getting high quality copies made from originals. MG

sadly some erased medals are worth more in ££ compared to ones in some corps

Thanks everyone,

I am due to see these medals this weekend at a militaria show (they are being held for me), I will let you know how I get on

khaki

Hello again, back from the show, purchased the medal group reduced to $50, a VG Sanderson(07)bayonet at $35 dated 10/17, a framed US WIA cert., ex/cond at $50 and sundry items. A good day.

khaki

ps medals unnamed, a bit hard to tell. but I will go with probably erased. Either way no matter will not be seen except in a frame.

(k)

Hi Khaki,

Seems like you had a good day.

I would imagine at the price you paid then the medals will be erased, however, if you have a pair of calipers you should be able to satisfy your curiosity quite easily :thumbsup:

I suppose that it this is a little irrelevant as you are putting them to good use by displaying them this way--but it would be interesting to know.

Robert

Genuine original unnamed WW1 Campaign medals are very scarce,even rare.Virtually ALL marketed as "genuine unamed" are either copies or neatly erased examples.I have no problem at all with anyone using copy or erased medals either to copy or part reconstruct groups where the originals have been lost or sold, provided the vendor if and when they are sold ,so states that fact.

The only genuine unnamed WW1 Medals sold I know of were sold by the South African Government a few years back. Chris Dixon medals of Bridlington bought a number and sold them around £60 plus each.I only once had an original group which contained an unnamed medal in its box of issue, this a 1914 star to the RND.

BEST W,HOWARD