Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hello Mark, a shame but please keep us informed about any new appeals. Wishing you success. Michael Bully

Hi All,
A big thank you for all your support for the project. As you may have seen the Kickstarter campaign was unsuccessful, however it's not the end of the project! Kickstarter was always a 'nothing to lose' attempted at fundraising and it has been a really useful experience.

So what's next, I've got two very short and very low budget films i want to shoot to show off what we are all about, (the lack of previous material was a big factor in the campaign) so watch this space!

Mark

Sorry it didn't work out Mark. I know myself and my husband (James, above) were really keen for you to make the film. Fingers crossed for other avenues of funding and your short films mentioned.

Mark.

I can't be the only one, but I have only just come across this thread. The whole subject interests me for a number reasons, not least because on a model train forum I also participate on, I have very recently just put forward Kickstarter as a means by which funds could be raised to finance certain model train manufacturing possibilities. The subject brought that forum alive in a way not seen since it was created. I'm still not entirely clear on how Kickstarter works, but that's for me to bottom; I presume your project is given a certain amount of time to succeed or fail and if it doesn't as appears to have happened here, can you not restart another repeat Kickstarter project in the hope that more might by now be aware and it proves more successful?

As I can demonstrate, I have only just picked up on this and would certainly want to support such a project financially - especially if it appears Khaki Devil are inclined to throw their support into it. Maybe there just needs to be some wider publicity to what you are trying to do prior to launching on Kickstarter?

David

Mark.

I can't be the only one, but I have only just come across this thread. The whole subject interests me for a number reasons, not least because on a model train forum I also participate on, I have very recently just put forward Kickstarter as a means by which funds could be raised to finance certain model train manufacturing possibilities. The subject brought that forum alive in a way not seen since it was created. I'm still not entirely clear on how Kickstarter works, but that's for me to bottom; I presume your project is given a certain amount of time to succeed or fail and if it doesn't as appears to have happened here, can you not restart another repeat Kickstarter project in the hope that more might by now be aware and it proves more successful?

As I can demonstrate, I have only just picked up on this and would certainly want to support such a project financially - especially if it appears Khaki Devil are inclined to throw their support into it. Maybe there just needs to be some wider publicity to what you are trying to do prior to launching on Kickstarter?

David

Hi David, kickstarter is a fantastic website for funding. I wrongly assumed you simply launch your project (you can choose the time your project runs but they recommend 30days) then start spreading the word, emails forums etc. however this all takes time to get the ball rolling and by then your halfway through and people seem reluctant to back projects that are struggling for funding.

Like you said the best thing to do is spread the word first, show off examples of what your doing and get a queue of people ready to back in the first couple of days. That gets your project to the top of the list on the website and more people see it. Kickstarter hits you for the bill if you get funded (they take a percentage of your total funds raised) so like in my case it cost nothing. I'm assuming I can relaunch the project but like I said I want to show of what we can do first. The support on this forum has been great and the collective knowledge on here is truly unbelievable. So hopefully I can do a more successful campaign next time!

Thanks again to everyone who has backed the project and for all the support!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Not an update really but we are looking at cheaper alternatives to finishing the project, this is a bit of a long shot but dose anyone (preferably in West Sussex) have a spare corner of a field I can dig some holes in?

Edited by bu6512

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Hope the project is going well.

My Great Grandpa fought at the Battle of Boars Head. He was part of the 13th Battalion, his name was Joseph Henry Cook-Watson, SD3041.

Really interesting to see you concentrating on this Battle, as the Somme the next day is the one always talked about.

Good luck with your project!

Yes I think it's time for an update ! Please let us know how film is progressing and wishing you success.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I think it's time for an update ! Please let us know how film is progressing and wishing you success.

Hi Michael

Sorry for the late reply just seen your post! I'm moving house this Friday so everything has been on hold for a while. We will be completing all the post war scenes by the end of July this will be edited into a long trailer so you can all get a feel for what we are trying to do and hopefully use it to raise the funds we need to complete the film.

Hi,

Hope the project is going well.

My Great Grandpa fought at the Battle of Boars Head. He was part of the 13th Battalion, his name was Joseph Henry Cook-Watson, SD3041.

Really interesting to see you concentrating on this Battle, as the Somme the next day is the one always talked about.

Good luck with your project!

The Battle of Boars Head is really important to me and although we won't have a huge budget we can make a really accurate recreation of the battle. If you have any photos of your Great Grandpa in uniform I would love to see them.

If it's still useful, I finally found an image of one of the other pieces of paperwork that would have accompanied the medals when first received. A bit annoyingly, I at one point also had a good image of the card referenced but it appears to have been something that was lost when my laptop died:

http://postimg.org/image/ueno4lepv/

Medals_rank_regiment_instructions_2.jpg

If it's still useful, I finally found an image of one of the other pieces of paperwork that would have accompanied the medals when first received. A bit annoyingly, I at one point also had a good image of the card referenced but it appears to have been something that was lost when my laptop died:

http://postimg.org/image/ueno4lepv/

Medals_rank_regiment_instructions_2.jpg

Thanks Andrew that is helpful, we are currently sticking with what we have already filmed, however if we do manage to get somemore funding I would like to redo the medal scene with more accureat packaging.

Mark

• 6 months later...

It's been a long time coming but it's finally here, the First part of We That Are Left. Hopefully you will enjoy what we have done so far and please bare it in mind we did this for less than £200! I am trying to raise the money to finish the project, the last bit to film (and the biggest) is the Battle of Boars Head scene. I haven't got all the prices as of yet as I need to speak to Taff again at Khaki Devil to get a new Quote. I just wanted to get this out asap.

https://vimeo.com/116880592?utm_source=email&utm_medium=clip-transcode_complete-finished-20120100&utm_campaign=7701&email_id=Y2xpcF90cmFuc2NvZGVkfGM2MDc2NDU3NTMwOWRjMjkzMzJhODZjYTQ2NDVjY2IxOTMzfDM2NDAxMDg5fDE0MjEzNDYwMzJ8NzcwMQ%3D%3D#share

Password : 1916

Glad to see this project is progressing and wishing you success. Is there going to be another appeal on Kickstarter? Regards, Michael Bully

Glad to see this project is progressing and wishing you success. Is there going to be another appeal on Kickstarter? Regards, Michael Bully

Probably Kickstarter if not it will be a similar crowdfunding website. Hopefully i can get a bit more intrest before I launch another campaign!

Mark-

There's a lot I like about this extract , the first minute with the medals arriving with minimal sound, the way gramophone records sort of connect with all the work machines in second minute. Then the flashbacks to the military service provoked by the arrival of the medal and how the chap can't settle . Also feel that the acting is just at the right pace,conveys the restlessness well.

Personally I'd have one less information board at the start. Too many can make the clip turn into a lecture.

But I just have to say, I've never had particularly typical taste! What really matters is at a time when Great War pals are being bombarded with worthy appeals, what is it that can make a successful appeal ? It would be good to find people who have had made successful funding applications and get their advice. Perhaps get pals to watch the original film clip at the starts of this thread again. It would helpful to consider the following :

Did the first Kickstarter appeal fail because the film wasn't effective or was the film a useful introduction to the project but unfortunately enough people didn't start pledging at the start? I think that it has been established that people only pledge money if they think that there is a chance of the target being reached.

Wishing you success and please message me if I can help in any way.

Regards

Michael Bully

Mark-

There's a lot I like about this extract , the first minute with the medals arriving with minimal sound, the way gramophone records sort of connect with all the work machines in second minute. Then the flashbacks to the military service provoked by the arrival of the medal and how the chap can't settle . Also feel that the acting is just at the right pace,conveys the restlessness well.

Personally I'd have one less information board at the start. Too many can make the clip turn into a lecture.

But I just have to say, I've never had particularly typical taste! What really matters is at a time when Great War pals are being bombarded with worthy appeals, what is it that can make a successful appeal ? It would be good to find people who have had made successful funding applications and get their advice. Perhaps get pals to watch the original film clip at the starts of this thread again. It would helpful to consider the following :

Did the first Kickstarter appeal fail because the film wasn't effective or was the film a useful introduction to the project but unfortunately enough people didn't start pledging at the start? I think that it has been established that people only pledge money if they think that there is a chance of the target being reached.

Wishing you success and please message me if I can help in any way.

Regards

Michael Bully

Thank you Michael for your feedback, I'm glad you like what we have done so far. I completely see where you are coming from with the message boards and I'll take that onboard as I hadn't thought about that! To be honest one of the main reason for them was to cover up a really fragmented scene! I only made one medal box and we didn't get it all in the first take! But it was my first time acting and my camera mans first time filming!

I have tried to contact people who's project have been successfuyl funded but without any luck so far but I am in contact with a few people now so hopefully I can get some publicity from them.

It is always had asking people for money even for the most charitably of causes. I think the last Kickstarter project failed for a few reasons; I asked for too much money. I had been watching Kickstarter for a while and seeing some of the rubbish that was getting funded I was given the false impression it would be easy, so I asked for my dream ammont to re-film and finish the entire project. Also as I am not in the industry or been to collage/uni to study film/media. I have no connections in that field, so it's difficult to access that community of backers. lastly you hit the nail on the head I didn't have enough backers ready to support the project as soon as I lunched it to get the ball rolling!

Thanks Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Mark,

the voice-over on the intro doesn't come across to me as very authorative.

If you could "source" a real Army Sergeant-Major it would add to it só much more. And I'm quite sure there are many Sergeant-Majors out there who would lovingly give you an example of their drilling (when you ask then nicely....)

And apologies to the man who was your stand-in for the intro!

So, before I commit any money: what's the story-line? How long will this short movie be?

Jan Willem

(Mark: the campaign has been "lunched" ? i think you'd like to rephrase that. ;) After rephrasing I'll delete this comment)

Mark,

the voice-over on the intro doesn't come across to me as very authorative.

If you could "source" a real Army Sergeant-Major it would add to it só much more. And I'm quite sure there are many Sergeant-Majors out there who would lovingly give you an example of their drilling (when you ask then nicely....)

And apologies to the man who was your stand-in for the intro!

So, before I commit any money: what's the story-line? How long will this short movie be?

Jan Willem

Thanks Jan, the voice over is meant to be the Battalion Commanding officer, the reference to the Sergeant-Major is to try and indercate the battalions on parade. However I know exactly what you mean and if we can raise the money the pre-battle speech will be filmed hopefully with an ex army officer. The voice over man is my father in law and he's not easily offended (or on this fourm!)

The film will be about 20 mins long. It's really the story of so many men who served in the Great War, the ones who got home and just got on with lives. Never talking about the war or wearing their medals. we are using the battle of boars head as a back drop to tell this story.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/243838328/we-that-are-left-0/widget/video.html"frameborder="0" scrolling="no"> </iframe>

just in case you've missed this! please help us finish this film. for £5, not much more than a DVD rental you can help us finish this project.

Thanks, hadn't seen the new trailer yet !

You got my pledge.

Hope it all works out. The trailer looks véry promising!

JW

Thank you JW for your backing, glad you like the trailer and I promise you will not be disappointed if we can get the funding!

• 11 months later...

Hi all,

Please have a look at the finished film, unfortunately we didn't get the funding we wanted so we had to change things to make it fit but we are please with the outcome considering the budget!

Mark

Hi Mark, just seen your film clip. I have to agree with regards to the voice, it either needs to be a more officer type voice or a much stricter Sgt Major voice, you seem to have one smack in the middle. Kept looking out for tv aerials etc, but didn't see any :D

I shall point my husband in the direction of the new posts, he backed you last time, I expect he would like to again.

Hi Mark, just seen your film clip. I have to agree with regards to the voice, it either needs to be a more officer type voice or a much stricter Sgt Major voice, you seem to have one smack in the middle. Kept looking out for tv aerials etc, but didn't see any :D

I shall point my husband in the direction of the new posts, he backed you last time, I expect he would like to again.

Did you see the link above?? The voice overs was from one of the funding clips not the finished film.