Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Horse Birmingham

KIRKY

Just got in from seeing this , it was brilliant! Great production etc etc, if you can see this anywhere then go!

Tony

Mayflower, Southampton in February.

I caught a snippet of it in the National Theatre 50th anniversary programme on Saturday. Though I hate the way Morpurgo presses the cliché and emotion buttons in the book, I have to admit that the puppetry is totally stunning and I shall probably go and see it again.

I went last Thursday - apart from horrendous traffic getting into Birmingham we had a great time.

So much better than the film

Puppetry is magnificent - but it is a mere melodrama - boy finds horse, boy looses horse, boy gets horse back. Enjoy the puppets, but Morpurgo's story is just a tired old horse.

Yes the story line is nothing new but it is a great production , I did not go for a History lesson!

tony

Saw it in London 2 years ago and we are going to see it again in Manchester on 28 December.

Cliched yes, but that's lost in the wonderful puppetry.

Cannot recommend this production enough.

We saw it in London several years ago and were blown away by the puppetry. The initial reaction was "They're very unrealistic." but the skill of the operators soon meant that any such caveats disappeared and we were completely drawn in. I've subsequently read the book and the story is, indeed, simplistic and cliched but the stage production just took it to another level. I was bought a DVD of the film and I found it unwatchable. If I'd not seen the play nor read the book I might have got into the film but, for me, it offered nothing new and seemed only to emphasise the kitsch aspects.

Keith