Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Batt.Northumberland Fusiliers (officer)

Khaki

I need to locate a source list of officers (online) for the above battalion, I have the officers initials (A.E.R) and a probable first name of Albert, he was a Lieutenant in 1914.

Any thoughts anyone?

khaki

No apparent service file in either WO339 or 374, so possibly served beyond 1922,or just no surviving papers.

I have a feeling that the man I found is the second one on this snip from WO 338. In which case I now have my doubts, because he was commissioned into the 24th Battalion, which I believe weren't formed until November 1914. He has the "P" prefix, so served on and his file is still with the MoD.

post-20576-0-34838200-1383680868_thumb.j

Phil

I need to locate a source list of officers (online) for the above battalion, I have the officers initials (A.E.R) and a probable first name of Albert, he was a Lieutenant in 1914.

Any thoughts anyone?

khaki

Hi Khaki,

He is Lt and Qtr Mtr A.E.Read of the 9th Bn, he was commissioned 12/9/14. I will see if I can find anything else for you.

Robert

He is Albert Edward Read and he ended the war with the Labour Corps as Capt and Qtr Mtr. On his MIC his address is given as: 4, Mount Edgecumbe Terrace, Stoket?, Devonport.

Hope this helps?

Robert

PS I can send you a copy of his photo from a group of officers of the 9th Bn taken at Canford Manor circa late 1914.