Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

40TH LABOUR CORPS

albion353

I have just received a group that has a connection to the 40th Labour Corps, and wondered if anyone could tell me anything about the unit.

The group of medals was awarded to F. Eastwood.

His MM was named to the 40th Labour Corps. Pte./A.sgt. L.G. Aug. 1919.

His War & Vic A.sgt. RAMC.

I am trying to find the connection between the 2 units.

Thanks in advance for any help.

James.

possibly isn't one. He could have been medically down graded or moved due to a certain skill. Any number of reasons to move unit

Hello Phil,

"yes" you are correct, they are indeed his numbers.

I just got this group as it falls in my collecting theme, but I don't know anything about the 40th Labour corps. The group also contains a SJSM No.4 Dist. and Eastwood is an Oldham Chap which is exactly what I collect.

If you can provide any further information I would be grateful.

Thanks, Coldstreamer for your thoughts, but its more information about his unit (40th) Who they were? that I am interested in.

James.

From "No Labour, No Battle", 40th Labour Company was one of the original companies that were formed in May 1917. In this instance, from the 1st Infantry Labour Company, Lincolnshire Regiment.

Fred's service number shows that he was transferred to the Labour Corps in the period June to September 1917. There is however, no way of determining which companies he may have served with, unless his service record has survived.

He is listed in the MM awards section of the book, but there is no additional info from what you already have.

Phil

From "No Labour, No Battle", 40th Labour Company was one of the original companies that were formed in May 1917. In this instance, from the 1st Infantry Labour Company, Lincolnshire Regiment.

Fred's service number shows that he was transferred to the Labour Corps in the period June to September 1917. There is however, no way of determining which companies he may have served with, unless his service record has survived.

He is listed in the MM awards section of the book, but there is no additional info from what you already have.

Phil

Sorry for the delay, thanks Phil every little bit helps so I appreciate your in put.

thanks again,

James.