Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

York and Lancs Regiment 1916

gerrymurray2010@live.com

I am currently researching the death of two Private Soldiers from the York and Lancs Regiment;

Private Frederick Stayton Moses 12/190

Private Isaac Haycock

My trail takes me to 1st July 1916 on the Somme.

Could anyone provide me with the relevant extract from the War Diaries of the York and Lancs for the above date?

Regards

Gerry

Hello Gerry,

Pte 12/672 Isaac Haycock was in "C" company and on the Thiepval monument. I can't find a surviving service record for him.

L/Cpl Frederick Stayton Moses I have not found a surviving service record for him so can't confirm a company for him.

Cheers Roger.

Hello . I too am trying to find as much as I can on a soldier in the York & Lancs. He was Sergeant Joseph Cutts 8936 2nd Bn. He was killed in action on 25/4/1917 aged 27. Parents were Clara & Francis Fox Cutts of York. He was awarded the Military Medal & Bar.

Can anyone fill in any more details for me please? I am researching all the old boys of Park Grove School York who died in WW1 for the Centenary. Joe is on the scroll in the school hall.

Thanks, sheilmar.

Sheimar

He was in the 2nd Battalion !!

The war Diary is available for download

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4554761

The SDGW says MM with clasp

post-10072-0-91263300-1383656462_thumb.j

Heres his LG entries which state 'deleted'. This, I think, refers to the Bar.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30172/supplements/6828/page.pdf

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30287/supplements/9615/page.pdf

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30652/supplements/5038/page.pdf

Regards,

Graeme

Hi there Shielmar, Graeme beat me to it, very interesting service record, he also applied for a commission but it seems that he didn't get an answer.

Cheers Roger.

Hi there Gerry,

Further thinking on Fredrick Stayton Moses,the 12th(S)Battalion(Sheffield) better known as the Sheffield City Battalion was raised on 5/9/1914 by the Mayor and Town.

With the original rush to join up and there being approx. 200 men to a company and his number being 190 I would suggest "A" company, likewise Pte Isaac Haycock is 672 and he was in "C" company.

Only my thoughts.

Cheers Roger.

Gerry, I have a transcription of Pte 12/69 Casey personal diary and who was also of 'A' Coy and was KiA on the 1st July 1916. The diary covers the daily events from the battalions formation upto the end of March 1915. On the 15th February he notes that Moses is ill (I take this to be Pte 12/190 Moses)

Also I have lots of notes regarding the battalion during their early days during training, as a young lad I grew up around Fulwood and Redmires where the battalion were camped before their move to Cannock Chase, let me know if you have interest

Jon

'Moses' name appears on at least 8 rolls of honour/memorials here in Sheffield. Not come across an image of him though.

Dean.

Roger/Dean;

Many thanks for your assistance which I will add to my growing Portfolio of the two men, (Thanks to Great War Forum)

Jon;

I certainly am interested in your transcript if available.

Many thanks all

Gerry

Hi Graeme & Roger,

Thanks for your help.

I am non military so I'm a bit puzzled as to the deletions in the London Gazette. What exactly do they mean? sheilmar

Gerry, I assume your user name is actually your email address, I'll email copies of what I have when I'm back at home with my files

Jon