Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mobilization of RGA Reserves in 1914

Paul Dorrell

In his book 1914: Fight the Good Fight: Britain, the Army and the Coming of the First World War, Allan Mallinson describes the process by which reservists were mobilized. He says that on receipt of the notice of mobilization the reservist would report to his regimental depot in his county town, to draw his uniform and equipment, before being despatched thence with a railway warrant to one of the regiment’s battalions. The examples he then gives refer to infantry reservists. Would the same process apply to other branches of the army?

I am especially interested in the route which an RGA gunner, living in County Durham, would have taken to reach his "regiments battalions". Would he have gone to Durham first and then on to (maybe) Woolwich? Or would his route have been different? Can anyone help please? Pre-war my gunner was a member of 15 Coy RGA and had been based in Belfast until he became a reservist in 1911.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

The place to which he was told to go was probably on the telegram he received telling him to mobilise, usually to 1 of the 4 main depots. For good basic information about the RGA have a read of http://www.archive.org/stream/makingofgunner00streiala/makingofgunner00streiala_djvu.txt . If I remember correctly the author covers the process.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

The author mentions that the RGA had four depots and that a recruit would be sent to the nearest to his home. he also mentions that on transfer to the reserve the gunners uniform and equipment would be stored against his name for use should he be recalled to the colours. On this basis, as my man was living in Hackney when he initially enlisted in 1903, Woolwich would have been is home depot. Further he would have reported directly to Woolwich when recalled, without the need to go to (in his case) Durham.

Thank you very much for your help. It's very interesting document that you referred me to.

Paul

Unless you have evidence that he was ever posted to Woolwich then the chances are he was posted, as I said, to one of the main depots. Woolwich was a heavy depot but given he was posted to a Coy in Ireland, and with no other evidence that he had served with a heavy battery (not many pre war) then one of the main depots would be a better bet. The main depots at the start of the war were at Newhaven, Gosport, Plymouth and Gt. Yarmouth. When he first enlisted there were, I believe, 2 others; Seaforth and Scarborough.

Of course without his records you may never know. If you do have his records then it should be mentioned in them in which case we wouldn't be guessing.

Kevin

Whilst I don't know where he would have picked up his uniform etc, my g/father, a reservist from 1910 joined Gosport on 5 Oct 1914. This is on the first line of a new sheet of records. He came from Jersey.

Sadly, and frustratingly, his records are part of those destroyed during WW2. I only have access to his medal card. So, as you say Kevin, we may never know for sure.

After his initial training (1903) he was posted to 15 Coy RGA, Victoria Barracks in Belfast. I believe he was part of the battery responsible for the coastal defence site at Grey Point - defending Belfast Lough. This was a 6" gun site on the south bank of the lough. A sister site was opposite Grey Point at Kilroot on the northern shore. .From previous enquiries on the Forum I know that, at the outbreak of war, 15 Company was at Plymouth and was re-formed as numbers 31 and 32 Siege Batteries. On his mobilization my man (my grandfather) was assigned to No 32. He went to France with them on October 2, 1915.

So, it seems possible that, having received his mobilization telegram, he would have travelled straight from County Durham and re-joined his former unit at/via the base depot in Plymouth. There were clearly a lot of reservists travelling some considerable distances to re-join - as David's post shows.

It's annoying, but I shall just have to stop seeking perfection and accept that an approximation will have to do!

Thanks again,

Paul