Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Walter Ward - Royal Garrison Artillery

sponge

Hello, I am seeking help with my great grandfather, Charles Walter Ward (66929). Between myself and my mother, I think we have built up a good knowledge of where he was and what he was doing during the war, but there are still some gaps which we would both be very grateful if anybody could help fill them in.

He was attested in Derby on 6 November 1915. He then joined the Royal Garrison Artillery at Dover on 8 November 1915. I believe this was the No 1 Depot which was the Eastern Division HQ?

We have him being posted to 46 Company on 13 January 1916. I believe 46 Company were stationed in Dover though? On 29 January 1916 we have him being part of the formation of 105 Siege Battery, which I see from The Long, Long Trial were first sent overseas on 17 May 1916 to France (and later to Italy).

We then have him at BASE on 20 April 1917. I take base to be Dover as this is where his Company and Siege Battery were?

After that is where we could really do with some help. I can make out the date 4 May 1917 but cannot see where he went. There are two further entries after that as well. I wonder if this is when he went to Italy with 105SB as mentioned above?

We next have him on 23 March 1918 at the General Hospital in Etaples after having been wounded in the shoulder (which I am told always caused him problems through his life). The number I have attached to him is HA 2095H? On 2 April 1918 we have him as being transferred to Glasgow. HB 10984? Is there any reason why he would have been sent to Glasgow when he was stationed in Dover?

We next have him on 10 September 1918 as being part of the formation of No 14 Essex & Suffolk Fire Command. I note also from TLLT that the coastal defences were restructured as Fire Commands. I think this is probably why he ended up on the FC?

He only lasted one month in No 14 FC though before joining the Labour Corps Agricultural Company. I presume that because of his shoulder injury, he was not able to do an effective job in the FC but as he was still some use to the Army, he was transferred into the Labour Corps? His number changed when he joined the Labour Corps to 662570.

We have him listed in possibly two Agricultural Companies. These being 411 and 472. A search of 411 Agri Company brings up the grave of Ernest Johnson. http://derbyshirewarmemorials.wikispaces.com/ERNEST+JOHNSON This is the only reference to 411 I can find.

472 Agri Company I have seen on another topic. http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=163815 This is really interesting for us as he was taken on as a farm labourer when he was discharged less than 20 miles away from Burton Joyce which is where we think he must have met that connection to get him the job.

He was discharged on 22 April 1919 and died in 1961.

If anybody can help me fill in the blanks, correct me on anything or give me any other information that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Ben.

Hello Ben,

His burnt records are very difficult to read because of the water damage sustained, but I would suggest the entry you have missed after 3rd Army Pool is 36 Sge Bty. He did not go to Italy, and the Base you mention is Harfleur.

Rgds

Paul

Ben,

Paul beat me to it and is of course correct. I will add a few things as I had made some notes. It may pad out what you know about his service.

Attested at Derby 5/11/1915

Arrived Fort Burgoyne, Dover, 8/11/1915

Approved 12/11/1915

Posted to 46 Coy 13/1/1916

Posted 105 SB 29/1/1916

Left Southampton 17/5/1916 (I think his records are a day out) and arrived Le Havre 18/5/1916.

This battery went out as personnel only and was given 4 X 120mm french guns, later changed to 6in Howitzers in Sept 1916.

Wounded 20/4/1917 and sent to 7 Canada Gen Hospital 20/4/1917. His records were taken over by the Artillery Base.

Posted to 2nd Army Base 4/5/1917 and then to 36 SB on the 16/6/1917.

Wounded and first sent to the same Hospital at Etaples on 23/3/1918, and then home to Glasgow Gen Hospital 2/4/1918

Given furlough 29/8/1918 to 7/9/1918 before being posted to 14 FC on the 10/9/1918.

So for the RGA part of his service you should research 105 SB from formation to 20/4/1917, and 36 SB from 16/6/1917 to 23/3/1918

Awarded 1 wound stripe (Should have been 2?) and 2 blue overseas service chevrons.

While at Glasgow it appears they have him as a Bombardier, although there is no evidence in his service records that he was promoted.

Someone may be able to help with his LC service.

Kevin

Kevin

Many thanks to you both for your help. We never knew he was wounded in 1917, although given his time in hospital, it doesn't sound too serious an injury.

Just one point I can see, Paul, you say 3rd Army Pool and Kevin you say 2nd Army Pool. Which one is correct please?

Could I also ask anyone else reading this for help with Charles's time in the Labour Corps?

Many thanks, Ben

I am not looking again so I would trust Paul. Not sure it's really that important and would think your relative wasn't too concerned either. He would have probably preferred to have been posted back to 105 SB. I get the impression that you seem more interested in his Labour Corp service so I hope your research goes well.

Kevin

I am not looking again so I would trust Paul. Not sure it's really that important and would think your relative wasn't too concerned either. He would have probably preferred to have been posted back to 105 SB. I get the impression that you seem more interested in his Labour Corp service so I hope your research goes well.

Kevin

Kevin, thank you. Only interested in the Labour Corps as we don't know much about that, save for the Coy numbers. He also stayed in Agriculture after the war, which has since shaped the next three generations of our family. Thanks again.